Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Cholm Shield - good or bad ?

Article about: Hi all, I have been offered this Cholm Shield. After looking through the fake gallery for Cholm Shields I think it this one looks quite good. My only concern is the "2" which looks

?

Default Cholm Shield - good or bad ?

Hi all,

I have been offered this Cholm Shield. After looking through the fake gallery for Cholm Shields I think it this one looks quite good.

My only concern is the "2" which looks quite fat in top part. Could this be an indication of the Shield being fake ?

Appreciate your input on this.

Cholm Shield - good or bad ?Cholm Shield - good or bad ?Cholm Shield - good or bad ?Cholm Shield - good or bad ?Cholm Shield - good or bad ?

Many thanks,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cholm Shield - good or bad ?
    P
    Many

?

Fake I'm afraid. As you suspected, the numbers/letters are a major clue. They are thicker than originals of both Long M and Short M Cholm shields. Note the thickness of the vertical portion of the letter "C" and the thick "2" in particular.
    Compare with these originals
    Also best to avoid any shields with an ink stamped maker mark on the reverse - a common feature of many fakes. The prongs also appear to be too wide.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cholm Shield - good or bad ?  

As Gordon says the Name and date figures are wrong.

When I look at these the image that comes to my mind is that the '2' reminds me of a snake swallowing a mouse

These are expensive pieces as you know and I would NEVER buy one without getting some opinion from my collector peers, so well done for A; spotting a concern and B; For posting it for review here

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Hi Gordon and Mark,

Many thanks for your replies which is much appreciated

I have told the seller that I will pass on the shield. (Your guys saved me a lot of money)

It's always a joy to surf around in the the old posts to see what have been discussed and agreed on and then use this information. And if one is still in doubt, a reply on a specific item is always around the corner here in the forum.

Thanks again.

Thor