Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Demjansk Shield for review

Article about: Hello all, Here is a Demjansk shield from the big haul. It is magnetic, and is not a serif fake (saw quite a few pictures of those). A few observations: 1: It is made of a lightweight steel,

Default Demjansk Shield for review

Hello all,

Here is a Demjansk shield from the big haul. It is magnetic, and is not a serif fake (saw quite a few pictures of those).

A few observations:

1: It is made of a lightweight steel, but seems flimsy in comparison to my Krim and Narvik shields. Not sure if this matters, but it feels like a tinnie in the hand.

2: It is very clean and has almost no patina to it. Makes me think it has been cleaned at some point.

3: There are three sets of three holes in the shield; one of each side of the bunkers, and one set at the bottom. I don't see these holes on the ones listed in my reference book.

Not sure on this one, so I'll wait for some much-appreciated guidance!

Demjansk Shield for reviewDemjansk Shield for reviewDemjansk Shield for reviewDemjansk Shield for reviewDemjansk Shield for reviewDemjansk Shield for review

As always, thanks for your time and attention!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Demjansk Shield for review   Demjansk Shield for review  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Demjansk Shield for review
    P
    Many

Hi Rock,

This is a genuine type 4.4 by an unknown maker. The holes were added by the owner so as to secure the shield with stitching as perhaps there was no cloth backing or it was lost at some point. The piece has clearly been polished at some point.

I'm guessing this was done by the collector, as it looks very similar in finish to the unmarked F&R PAB you showed from the same source the other day, and which raised questions as to it's originality as the coating had been entirely stripped away leaving a pronounced appearance to the badges detail which left some here wary as to it's originality.

Anyway, a good shield for your burgeoning collection.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned,

Whenever I find myself in your neck of the woods, I'm buying the beer/scotch/etc.!

Thanks as always!