Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Deutsches Kreuz in Gold - A Cloth Oddity !!

Article about: Here's an odd one. Compared to known original and fake examples of the cloth version.

Default Deutsches Kreuz in Gold - A Cloth Oddity !!

Here's an odd one.

Compared to known original and fake examples of the cloth version.

It's all hand-embroidered - no metal wreath.

And it looks like it has been worn.

I think I've seen this all-embroidered type in a book, somewhere, (Niemann ??), but I can't recall which one.

Any ideas ??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsches Kreuz in Gold - A Cloth Oddity !!   Deutsches Kreuz in Gold - A Cloth Oddity !!  

Last edited by Robin Lumsden; 03-12-2023 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsches Kreuz in Gold - A Cloth Oddity !!
    P
    Many

?

I've never seen one of these before, has it come from a trusted source?
    It obviously doesn't match known original pieces but anomalies do exist, it could be home made or commissioned somewhere by the recipient.
    It would be interesting to know more about it if you have any further information.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Please keep this in mind Robin.
    The Use of German Terminology.
    Ralph.

That being said, not one I would be willing to take a chance on without some kind of provenance.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I've never seen one of these before. It obviously doesn't match known original pieces but anomalies do exist. It would be interesting to know more about it if you have any further information.
    Adrian & Ralph.

Unfortunately, I have no further provenance on this one.

In 50-odd years, I haven't seen another one exactly like it either.

That may, or may not, be a good sign.

I just seem to recall having read about a similar one (with hand-embroidered cotton wreath) in a book, many years ago.

I just can't remember which book.

?

Quote by Robin Lumsden View Post
    I just can't remember which book.
    As long as it's not a book called called 'Detecting the Fakes'.......

These one off pieces that are not mass produced are actually (in my opinion, right or wrong) more reassuring as original pieces. If a small amount of them had been discovered in a market in Karachi then it's likely they will not be original. But a one off piece, who knows, awarded to a crew member on a ship and his comrades enlisted a piece to be sewn on board perhaps.
    The Japanese Hilfskreuzer Kriegsabzeichen manufactured for the crew aboard Atlantis, ship made EKs etc. All examples of non standard awards.

These one off pieces that are not mass produced are actually (in my opinion, right or wrong) more reassuring as original pieces. A one off piece ..... who knows?
    I agree completely.

I just wish I'd picked up this 'one-off' thing when I saw it for sale for next to nothing, way back in the 'good old days'.

The OL&S were hammered out from old silver coins, then attached to a converted original EK2.

Field-made ??

Who knows.

But it looks good to me.

Cloth version EK1 1914 also shown here for comparison.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsches Kreuz in Gold - A Cloth Oddity !!   Deutsches Kreuz in Gold - A Cloth Oddity !!  

Deutsches Kreuz in Gold - A Cloth Oddity !!  
    Last edited by Robin Lumsden; 03-14-2023 at 11:14 PM.

Whatever it is, the cotton hand-embroidery on this 'oddity' is much finer than that on a standard original cloth DK - especially the grey parts of the star.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsches Kreuz in Gold - A Cloth Oddity !!  

?

From the photos, it seems to be quite padded. Is this the case or an optical illusion?

From the photos, it seems to be quite padded. Is this the case or an optical illusion?
    Adrian.

Korrekt !

Well spotted.

The first thing that struck me when I handled it for the first time was the firm padding under the embroidery.

Also - the distinctive '5 rays' highlighted by the thicker threads on the 'oddity' mirror the '5 rays' on the star of the metal version. In this case, a 'heavy Deschler'.

None of the standard original cloth DKs has these highlighted '5 rays'.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsches Kreuz in Gold - A Cloth Oddity !!  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast