Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen

Article about: This badge seems to be commonly faked so I'm looking for opinions on this one. Im hesitant about the way the portholes on the left side seem uneven. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

?

Default Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen

This badge seems to be commonly faked so I'm looking for opinions on this one. Im hesitant about the way the portholes on the left side seem uneven. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen   Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen  

Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I'm not liking this one. Does not compare to any of the 4 major variations that I'm aware of. Martin and Norm F know these much better than I do and happy to be corrected

A few observations of originals:

Variation 1: Maker mark is set higher
    Variation 2: Right antenna boom shaped like triangle
    Variation 3: Four "window" variation
    Variation 4: Right antenna boom shaped like triangle
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I also could not find a match to the variations in Weber/Skora:

Variation 1 - We can rule this out as the maker stamp on the reverse is not high enough. Also this variation has a c shaped catch.

Variation 2 -We can rule this out based on the right antenna.

Variation 3 - We can rule this out as the version above, the upper portholes are stamped deeply and the bridge has 5 deeply stamped windows.

Variation 4 - We can rule this out based on the right antenna.

I came to the same conclusion at Michael.
    However further analysis revealed that this may be a type 2:

Check this:
    The Schwerin Kriegsmarine High Seas Fleet War Badge

In particular this badge:
    Badge 2

Have we missed something? We really need Norm or Martin to comment on this i feel.

Nick

?

Hi Guys,

Very interesting. I hadn't seen this particular fake before but it's certainly an excellent cast reproduction. My classification system is a bit different from Mike Kenny's; this is a cast fake of what he called Type 2B or 2C and what I call FC# 1.1.5, 1.1.6 or 1.1.7. I'm attaching the classification system although I'm not sure if the resolution of the images comes through well enough on the forum.

At any rate, the badge in question shows soft detail which is especially apparent on the reverse where you can also see the anomalies in surface texture and the margins. The text of the maker mark is thin and distorted in the casting process. They did an excellent job in casting the hardware as well but you see that the catch is ever so slightly smaller than originals.

This would no doubt fool most people at a show booth.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen   Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen  

Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen   Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen  

Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen   Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen  

MAP
    ?

Norm,

As always, fantastic to get your views and input on these awards. Thanks for all the great info. These photos are going straight into my reference file!

I can clearly see from your analysis the "soft" details you have highlighted. And funny how you noted the small catch. I noticed this but was not really sure. Learned a lot today.

Would fool me to, if I wasn't in front of a PC and my reference materials. They get better and better.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Excellent analysis Norm as always.
    I have to admit, this would of fooled me - although i could see some of the discrepancies, overall the badge still looked good to me. In short, i did not think a cast fake could be this good.
    Unfortunately someone will buy this - but at least you have been able to steer clear the OP and anyone else who sees this thread.

Nick

?

Thanks for all the very informative replies! This is for sale on a reputable dealers website and I was about to buy it but having been bitten in the past with one of these, thought it wise to post it here first. Just as well!

MAP
    ?

You should point the dealer to this thread. Hopefully he will remove it from his in inventory

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    You should point the dealer to this thread. Hopefully he will remove it from his in inventory
    Done.