Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen, Schwerin

Article about: Hi folks, Thought I would like to share a recent find with you all. I don't have much in the way of Kreigsmarine in my collection so I was pleased to pick up this Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen or

Default Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen, Schwerin

Hi folks, Thought I would like to share a recent find with you all. I don't have much in the way of Kreigsmarine in my collection so I was pleased to pick up this Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen or High Seas fleet badge. I believe I'm correct in thinking that it is (in collector terms) a type 2 ,this is because it has a slightly dished reverse. The award is constructed from tombak & exhibits all the flaws I would expect to see in original production.
    What is interesting is that the top left hand bridge window is deformed, on some of these Schwerin production badges it is missing all together! this was caused when the corresponding window in the obverse die broke and got progressively worse. At some point after this the fault was noticed & the window in the die repaired making the window slightly higher than the other 4.
    This particular badge is probably the most minty badge I have in my collection & although hard to see in the pictures, still retains the factory burnishing to the Swastika & to the ribbon at the bottom of the wreath. Hope you like it as much as me ,Regards Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen, Schwerin
    P
    Many

?

They really are beautiful. Need to get me one of those

A very nice addition to your collection Paul!
    Congrats!
    Ralph
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thank you Ralph, thank you Tobias, I am rather pleased with it. kindest regards, Paul

Lovely example Paul - i agree, variation 2. The reverse matches perfectly, although strangely on the obverse the right radio antenna does not slope down.
    That said, i think it is a great badge - you have done very well.

Nick

Thanks for the positive review Nick, It is indeed a lovely badge. The pictures just do not do justice to the fire gilding. On the subject of the sloping radio antenna I've heard that the fault is more prevalent on the later type 3 & 4 zinc versions perhaps due to die deterioration. Thanks again Nick .Regards Paul

A superb example, very nice indeed. Well done.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

As already said above, this is a very nice example. I think it might just be my favourite of the KM badges No wonder it ended up on the cover of a book!!
    I limited myself to a small "one of each" set of KM badges all in tombak (I just find that zinc doesn't look right in KM designs) and my HSF is quite similar to yours albeit with a bit more wear and with the "missing window" really missing.

Excellent reference piece

Here's mine as a comparison.

Regards

Mark
    Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen, SchwerinFlotten-Kriegsabzeichen, Schwerin
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you Ade, Thank you mark, love your badge such a great look with the wear revealing the tombak base metal and with the same bridge window fault, Kindest Regards, Paul

Very nice badge Mark - also i notice the right antenna is not particularly sloped on yours too.
    Here is mine:

Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen, SchwerinFlotten-Kriegsabzeichen, Schwerin