Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Flottenkriegsabzeichen

Article about: Hi. I have a few fleet badges and this one. When I first bought this I thought ground dug and cleaned with acid now I'm thinking that it is original but someone has tried to melt it down pos

Default Flottenkriegsabzeichen

Hi. I have a few fleet badges and this one. When I first bought this I thought ground dug and cleaned with acid now I'm thinking that it is original but someone has tried to melt it down possibly thinking that it was silver as obviously it would have had the silver plate. When you look at the obverse wreath and some areas of the reverse you can see that it's undamaged and a good detailed wreath on the obverse suggesting that it was stuck with good detail. So to me this looks like it's been heated up damaging the silver plate which has melted at a lower temperature and damaged the surface as the rough area is only where the silver has been? What do others think? Thank you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flottenkriegsabzeichen   Flottenkriegsabzeichen  

Flottenkriegsabzeichen   Flottenkriegsabzeichen  

Flottenkriegsabzeichen   Flottenkriegsabzeichen  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flottenkriegsabzeichen
    P
    Many

Well it looks to be a genuine Schwerin badge .Certainly looks to have seen some heat. Regards Paul

Thank you Paul. Yes to me it looks struck rather than cast.

?

It looks like a genuine badge, as for the heat, could've been anything, combat situation, house fire since the war?
    Or maybe stored in an environment where a corrosive action took place?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thank you Adrian, yes it could have quite a history, who knows it may have seen some serious action at sea.

It is an original tombak Schwerin in somewhat "relic" condition.
    Hard to say what gave it it's look,it is what it is.But still a piece worth having in your collection IMO.

Cheers,Martin.

Thank you Martin. I know it's not worth a lot but it's the history that fascinates me and I'll definitely keep it.