Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

German Parachutist Badge by GWL Value?

Article about: Hello, First post to this forum. I would like to know more about this badge my dad brought back from the war. He was a paratrooper and I have no reason to doubt it's authenticity. I'm curiou

Default German Parachutist Badge by GWL Value?

Hello,

First post to this forum. I would like to know more about this badge my dad brought back from the war. He was a paratrooper and I have no reason to doubt it's authenticity. I'm curious as to it's value. It is by GWL. I'd say the condition is excellent, though the pin is sloppy. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images German Parachutist Badge by GWL Value?  German Parachutist Badge by GWL Value? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Parachutist Badge by GWL Value?
    P
    Many

Default Re: German Parachutist Badge by GWL Value?

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum!

I would suggest a search on dealers sites to check the current market value of this badge. I am out of touch on prices of these.

Cheers, Ade.

Having done a quick look around dealers sites, I think an average price of a good FJ badge would be around £500 or $800.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade

I've looked at a few dealers sites and found a wide range of values. I only found one GWL that looked this good and the dealer wanted a fortune for it. Once I posted an ad for it on Craigslist and got an email from a guy who snidely said it was only worth $20, so I'm still pretty much in the dark.

Just a note about my username; I am a dealer of antiques and collectibles, but not a collector of anything really. I don't collect military stuff but I sell it from time to time. This badge however came to me from my father who was a paratrooper (US). He jumped over the Rhine and was also at Bastogne. Most of the stuff he brought back from the war has 'disappeared' over the years but this badge remains. He had it in a display case with his medals. I would never sell his personal medals, I will leave them to my son. This piece however I think has some value and could easily be replaced in the case with a reproduction, so I was considering selling it.

So that's my story. I'm not a fakes dealer of militaria Just a guy looking for some value. I may post it to the sales area once I get some Idea of it's value. If it's not worth much, I'll put it back in the case.

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

Tom

Tom,

Your badge is WORTH the wait. Original pieces will always be in demand. Do not be under sold on it. Everyone want s deal, but if they really want it...they'll pay the price.

Ben

Thanks Ben,

Whatever I get for it I'd split with my Brother, so it would have to be a pretty good price to let it go.

Regards,

Tom

Just for fun,

A pic of my pop
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Parachutist Badge by GWL Value?  

GWL made a sunken rivet variant. But this is the weirdest i've seen. I'd like to see better pics of the rivets,just to see what's going on. If you could post pics of them please. Stewy S

The rivets are sunken. I took a few more photos and in so doing, noticed some gold paint splatters on the back and now I wonder if Dad re-painted it. Wouldn't surprise me at all, he was always painting stuff with grey, green and gold paint. He used to buy old junk and rehab it, then sell it at the swap meet. Everything was freshly painted in those three colors. He was an electrical wizard (engineer at Lockheed for many years) and incessantly working on some project or another. I'll post a few more pics in a minute...

More pics. At this resolution the paint looks suspect to me. Not that apparent to my naked eye, though my sight is not as good as it used to be. What do you think?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Parachutist Badge by GWL Value?   German Parachutist Badge by GWL Value?  

German Parachutist Badge by GWL Value?  
    Attached Images Attached Images German Parachutist Badge by GWL Value?  German Parachutist Badge by GWL Value?  German Parachutist Badge by GWL Value?