Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with Authentication of a “French Made” U-boot Kriegsabzeichen

Article about: Hello all! I purchased a few years ago a U-boat badge that was supposedly a French made unit. I am hoping to see if anyone could offer me any information on this piece whether it is real or

Default Help with Authentication of a “French Made” U-boot Kriegsabzeichen

Hello all! I purchased a few years ago a U-boat badge that was supposedly a French made unit. I am hoping to see if anyone could offer me any information on this piece whether it is real or whether it is hard to tell if it’s real or if it’s just a straight out fake. From my research, I found that they did in fact make these but just thought I’d ask for a professional and friendly opinion! Thank you as always and happy hunting!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Authentication of a “French Made” U-boot Kriegsabzeichen   Help with Authentication of a “French Made” U-boot Kriegsabzeichen  

Last edited by rbminis; 12-18-2022 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with Authentication of a “French Made” U-boot Kriegsabzeichen
    P
    Many

Welcome to the forum!
    I have edited the title of your thread.
    Please read this thread regarding posting in the Orders and Decorations section of the forum.
    The Use of German Terminology.

There were some Kriegsabzeichen made in France, I believe there are referred to as "Bacqueville" made, as I believe this is the area that they are thought to have come from.
    I'm not really up on these, but I will see what I can find out.
    Meanwhile, other members may have more in formation.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

The U-Boat badge is indeed a Bacqueville-Produced Example...The Reverse Hardware is Unmistakable....

Thank you so much for the information! I love this site already! So much knowledge to be found. Sorry to pick your brain but were these actual pieces that members of a U-boat crew would actually wear considering their place of origin? Or were these badges just made for hungry collectors after the war? Thanks again for all your help each and everyone of you! Even if there is bad news to be had periodically lol

Quote by AZWWIICOLLECTOR View Post
    Thank you so much for the information! I love this site already! So much knowledge to be found. Sorry to pick your brain but were these actual pieces that members of a U-boat crew would actually wear considering their place of origin? Or were these badges just made for hungry collectors after the war? Thanks again for all your help each and everyone of you! Even if there is bad news to be had periodically lol

**** Surprisingly I was able to find something pretty quick on Google lol about these badges

These are wartime occupation-produced and were available for purchase by German Naval Personnel ...

Still a very contentious issue. See Bacqueville U Boat aubzeichen

Cool

Hello, mine in the box :
    Help with Authentication of a “French Made” U-boot Kriegsabzeichen

I was one time in the shop in Paris...We never made this ! Of course...
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

I have the Zerstörer-Abzeichen, part of a Kriegsmarine Grouping that I obtained a few years ago...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Authentication of a “French Made” U-boot Kriegsabzeichen   Help with Authentication of a “French Made” U-boot Kriegsabzeichen  

?

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    Still a very contentious issue. See Bacqueville U Boat aubzeichen
    Hi Guys,

Pretty well everything's been said in the previous thread provided in that link by paulscoot, but I'll just add that in 2018 Helmut Weitze provided eye-witness testimony that Bacqueville did at least retail these badges in the 1970s:

"In the late 1970s, when I was still in high school I travelled with some friends to Paris and found the Bacqueville shop be pure coincidence. When I was looking thru the window I didn’t believe my eyes: next to french orders and regimental badges, several of the KM badges were decorated, some with and some without the cartons: submarine, e-boat, high seas, auxiliary cruisers and coastal artillery badges, mine sweeper badges I don’t remember. But the price was the same: 200 Francs each (today ca. €35,—). So i spent my entire pocket money on the e-boat and auxiliary cruiser badges (the others were still very common and not much more expensive at the time) and had to call my father to send me some more money to get home. For me it was an amazing find, because it was the first time for me to see theses french productions. Most likely I was one the first ones, who brought them to Germany The only other one known before was the one illustrated in Angolia’s reference Book “For Führer and Fatherland”. If I am not wrong , the book was printed around 1975.
    I am convinced, that the badges were french war time period production, but different to the french KM breast eagles and sleeve patches, they were not accepted by the Kriegsmarine and never given out during WWII.
    It is more then possible, that reproductions of them exist today, which doesn’t make it easier, but the ones from the 1970s were old.
    I hope, that I could help the community a bit with my personal experience.

Best regards from Hamburg,
    Helmut Weitze"

Again, there is NO evidence that Bacqueville manufactured them, but convincing evidence they at least retailed them. Mourgeon has also commonly been named as a potential maker, which is interesting since they, like others, made Regimental pins in a similar manner. All this is tantalizing, but far from definitive.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast