Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" (Ostmedaille) - Russian Front Medal. Unknown Maker

Article about: This is the final Ostmedaille in my collection (for now) that is another head scratcher.. I spent the most time on Sindri's database looking at this one, and I have narrowed it down to 5 pos

Default Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" (Ostmedaille) - Russian Front Medal. Unknown Maker

This is the final Ostmedaille in my collection (for now) that is another head scratcher..

I spent the most time on Sindri's database looking at this one, and I have narrowed it down to 5 possible makers.. With all of the subtle variations, I just could not come to a definite conclusion based on what I found..

Here are the possible makers that I came up with and my reasons:

Maker 23 (unfortunately, I forgot to add my reasons for this one)

Maker 76 (Due to the small "1" in 1941. It appears to me at least that the first 1 is much smaller than the second "1" in 1941)

Maker 109 (Again uneven numbers)

Maker 110 (The Eagle claws appear to be ball shaped and the far left claw on the left side is smaller than the other claws)

Maker 138 (The swastika appears to be even and the berries are quite small)

One final observation about this particular medal is that the Suspension Ring is not the typical suspension ring found on these decorations. If you look at the photos I posted, this suspension ring is what I call a double loop suspension ring.. Was this a period replacement? Or is this another Post War Copy??

I honestly do not know the answer...

As I have been looking more closely at the Third Reich decorations in my collection, I have discovered many of the small details that many of the members here have pointed out, so I want to thank those members for educating me,, and I do enjoy doing my own research on these items and coming to a conclusion to what I believe I may have, but it always helps to have more pairs of eyes to either confirm or deny my observations..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" (Ostmedaille) - Russian Front Medal. Unknown Maker   Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" (Ostmedaille) - Russian Front Medal. Unknown Maker  

Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" (Ostmedaille) - Russian Front Medal. Unknown Maker   Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" (Ostmedaille) - Russian Front Medal. Unknown Maker  

Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" (Ostmedaille) - Russian Front Medal. Unknown Maker  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" (Ostmedaille) - Russian Front Medal. Unknown Maker
    P
    Many

Hi Smitty

I think it great that you do your own research and thats also the only way to learn

The ribbon ring is a replacement as you noted, is dont like the Medaille either unfortunately, but again the pics are not the best.
    Does it feel a little flat, when in hand ?

It does feel somewhat flat in hand..

Again sorry for the pictures. Will try to take more tomorrow

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    It does feel somewhat flat in hand..

Again sorry for the pictures. Will try to take more tomorrow

Smitty
    No worries or stress, It can sometimes by tricky.