Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ostvolk Medaille - Eastern Peoples Medal, 24

Article about: Hi, all! I just picked up a very nice Ostvolk medal, or Tapferkeits und Verdienstauszeichnung für Ostvölker. This is a 2nd class medal in silver with swords. I've always thought this was a

Default Ostvolk Medaille - Eastern Peoples Medal, 24

Hi, all! I just picked up a very nice Ostvolk medal, or Tapferkeits und Verdienstauszeichnung für Ostvölker. This is a 2nd class medal in silver with swords. I've always thought this was a very nice looking award, but I've never encountered one that wasn't mostly (or entirely) missing all of its silver wash, so I've always skipped on them. This one, however, is nice and minty with all of the silver remaining, and even has a clear "24" stamped on the ring for Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Hanauer Plakettenhersteller, Hanau. This is the first one of these I've seen with this mark. Thanks for having a look!

-DF

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ostvolk Medaille - Eastern Peoples Medal, 24
    P
    Many

?

You did well to find such a mint example.
    Just for interest, the makers mark is quite different from the usual stamp of '24' commonly seen on EK2s.
    I'm not sure it that is legit or not.
    It seems strange for one maker to have two different stamps using different numerals.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thanks for having a look and taking the time to comment, Adrian. You're right - the "24" font is a bit different than what I'm seeing on other rings. Not sure why that might be, but I'm still confident that at least the medal itself is a good one.
    I thought, maybe, that's not a 24 I was seeing, but the "4" is certainly a "4"... the first number seems like a two, and I can't see it being anything else.
    It remains a mystery for now.
    Thanks again!

-DF