Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.

Article about: A new Minesweeper badge into the collection, an Otto Schickle, 2.7.4 on the Minesweeper database. Made in tombak with a hollow barrel hinge with the Pforzheim 'P' catch and hand vaulted by t

?

Default Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.

A new Minesweeper badge into the collection, an Otto Schickle, 2.7.4 on the Minesweeper database.

Made in tombak with a hollow barrel hinge with the Pforzheim 'P' catch and hand vaulted by the recipient.
    Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.
    P
    Many

Nice Schickle.
    I'm fortunate to have one of the very few known Schickle Hilfskreuzer's.
    They made fine badges.

Cheers,Martin.

MAP
    ?

Nice.

Reminds me that I need to upgrade my minesweeper badge.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by martinw View Post
    Nice Schickle.
    I'm fortunate to have one of the very few known Schickle Hilfskreuzer's.
    They made fine badges.

Cheers,Martin.
    I'd like to see that.....

?

Nice badge! You occasionally see these mis-struck Schickles with the noticeable surface flaws. Not sure if it's a misaligned double-strike of the obverse or the result of a misaligned trimming stamp (note the extra flashing to the right of the swastika), but it's an interesting insight into their production.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.  
    Last edited by Norm F; 04-13-2023 at 06:59 PM.

?

Yes, the flaw on the swastika is especially pronounced and the double edge of oakleaves on the top of the bottom of the wreath.
    Norm, I think your 2.7.4 example without the flaw on the swastika still has the flaws on the top oakleaf to the left of the bottom wreath tie.
    It looks like this flaw existed before the deterioration in the eagle.

?

Hi Adrian,

I haven't yet posted the latest versions of the KM badge classifications tables, but the Minesweeper classification system has changed considerably in the latest iteration. I now believe we are seeing two separate production dies from the same master -- the first has the filled-in swastika flaw from the get-go and a featureless eagle's head while the second die has improved eagle facial features and eliminates the swastika flaw. Die 2 has some fine irregular linear flaws across the water column as well which can't always be seen well on worn badges. Having said that, Die 2 then developed an even worse swastika flaw in the same location which is manifest in the zinc variants.

Your badge is actually from Die 2 but in addition has some mis-strike errors that are sometimes seen which result from the production method rather than the die that was used.

Attached here is the latest Schickle Minesweeper classification system. The page numbers referencing Vol. III of The Kriegsmarine Awards in the third column of this table refer to the as-of-yet unpublished 2nd edition of Volume III. Your badge is now type M2.5.6, which is the latest of the Tombak variants.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.  

?

A few of the Schickle Minesweeper pages from the latest edition.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.   Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.  

Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.   Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.  

?

Also, for reference here are three more examples with the double-strike flaws. These are random production flaws related to tool placement and don't constitute a separate variant in the classification system.

?

Thank you for the additional information Norm, is it fair to say that the table on your website is now out of date and has been completely re-written but so far unpublished?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast