Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch-, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.

Article about: One more variant ticked off the list. This badge is made by Otto Schickle and is variant M2.5.3 with the hollow barrel hinge and round topped sheet metal catch. Note the die flaw on the swas

?

Default Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch-, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.

One more variant ticked off the list. This badge is made by Otto Schickle and is variant M2.5.3. Made of tombak with the hollow barrel hinge and round topped sheet metal catch. Note the die flaw on the swastika.

Also of interest is the shape of the pin. Schickle badges tend to have a pin that is narrow at the top and flared or bellied in the bottom two thirds. This example has an unusual shaped pin being wide at the top and tapering towards the point. I can't see any evidence of it being a replacement so can only guess it's original to the badge.

The last image shows a comparison between the catches on this badge and the one I posted here with the P shaped sheet metal catch.

The are also clear double strike flaws down the inside edge of the left side of the wreath.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch-, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.   Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch-, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.  

Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch-, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.   Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch-, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.  

Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch-, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.   Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch-, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch-, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.
    P
    Many

?

Hi Adrian,

A very cool variant! Like you say, M2.5.3 but with a different main pin than the usual type (image attached). I agree, from the finish that the pin is definitely original to the badge. Now the question is whether this is a one off with a pin lying around the factory or whether there is more than one example from a small production run. This is the first one I've seen over all my years of collecting. Thanks for posting.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch-, U-Boots-Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände.  

?

Glad to post it Norm, it's an unusual one!
    I've never seen a Schickle badge with a pin like this before. That tends to suggest it's a one off or we would see the odd one crop up from time to time.
    Maybe Schickle got another manufacturer to finish a batch of badges? But again, why haven't we seen more?
    That said, why would Schickle have a random pin that is so different just laying around on their production line unless they were assembling badges for another company and one got mixed up.
    It's a curiosity for sure, I'll need to spend a bit of time looking at badges from other makers in the vicinity of their factory and see if there are any that used such a pin.

?

I don’t know, but my Dad was German from that era and their frugality was legend - never letting anything going to waste! Perhaps a sample pin from a manufacturer that they decided not to order in the end?

Best regards,
    ---Norm

?

I guess we will never know but it will be interesting to see if any similar shaped pins can be found on Schickle products.

?

It looks most like a Deutsches Kreuz pin although Schickle never made one. Can't think of any Schickle precedent.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

?

Please feel free to post the images elsewhere for discussion Norm. Maybe other collectors have seen something like this.

Another Pfortzheim maker C.F.Zimmermann did make a DK and this pin looks very similar to that seen on their DK's.

Cheers,Martin.