Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.

Article about: Here we have an Otto Schickle attributed Minesweeper badge in tombak, variant M2.5.2 on the Classification Table. You don't see many of this variant with a block hinge, they mostly seem to b

?

Default Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.

Here we have an Otto Schickle attributed Minesweeper badge in tombak, variant M2.5.2 on the Classification Table.
    You don't see many of this variant with a block hinge, they mostly seem to be found with the barrel hinge.

The badge displays the flaw on the swastika that is typical for this maker although one variant does exist without the flaw in this location but with the barrel hinge.

The badge has lost the majority of it's original finish, just a small amount of silvering left on the waterspout. It has been heavily vaulted and the tools used have left a significant gouge to the left of the hinge exposing the yellow base metal below the silver wash on the reverse.

The block hinge, slightly bent pin and 'Pforzheim P' catch are present and functioning and the tool marks left by the vaulting are easy to see.

Although not the prettiest badge to look at with the finish gone, it does have an awful lot of character and would definitely have been worn to look so weathered. The dark areas on the obverse in the recesses are actually a build up of crud and gunk, not discolouration of the metal. The last photo shows this.

I can only imaging the wearer in the depths of an engine room of some vessel where oil and dirt have attached to the badge as the finish has been worn away during on board duties or in combat, the residue of such actions still there today.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.   Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.  

Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.   Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.  

Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.   Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.
    P
    Many

?

Hi Adrian,

Great badge with wonderful character!

Schickle planchets seem to show a variety of thicknesses and weights ranging from 22.3 g to 30.3 grams. My example of this early variant M2.5.2 is on the heavier/thicker side weighing 29.9 grams. May I ask what the weight of yours is?

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.  

?

Thank you for your comments Norm, yes, this one is quite thick, the vaulting shows this off especially on the inner wreath.
    This badge weighs 30.2 grams so for sure on the heavier side.

Here is one i used to own,with a different reverse set up and marked L/18.
    Schickle stock obtained and marked by Mayer.
    Picured next to my Schickle Hilfskreuzer.

Cheers,Martin.Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.

?

The only known variant of the Schickle Hilfskreuzer?

Yes Adrian.
    There are a couple more of this type out there that i know of with the same reverse set up.
    It's a very rare badge along with the Meybauer.
    Here is the obverse.

Cheers,Martin.Otto Schickle Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.

A badge which I am continually on the hunt for. I can smell it in the wind but just can't figure out where it's headed ;-)