Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Photographing badges and medals.

Article about: Guys, when you post a medal or badge up for review and to determine authenticity it would really help if clear, straight on shots could be taken. Many of the key identifying features of thes

?

Thumbs up Photographing badges and medals.

Guys, when you post a medal or badge up for review and to determine authenticity it would really help if clear, straight on shots could be taken.
    Many of the key identifying features of these awards can only be seen by looking at the badge or medal head on and the angled shots hide both good and bad points. Occasionally angled shots are good when looking at hinges, catches, pins etc but aren't necessary for flat medals and the like.
    I realise that this may not always be possible as you might be posting photos that have been sent to you by a third party and if this is the case, ask that person for the shots you want. Most people are happy to oblige, dealers and private sellers alike. If they are reluctant to send you decent pics it might be worth reconsidering buying at all - they may be hiding something.
    I'm not the best photographer in the world and am constantly amazed at how some collectors can achieve superb close up photos of their awards with very basic equipment. However I will offer a few simple tips that I use and may help.
    Most cameras have a macro setting, usually depicted by a flower symbol - use it! This will enable close, detailed pics to be taken.
    Natural light is always best, not bright, full sunshine but indirect.
    If you can, use a tripod or steady the camera in some other way. If using a tripod you can use the timer function on your camera to avoid moving it when you press the button
    Take the pics against a plain background. Flowery tablecloths are not recommended. I use plain white paper.
    Play around with the ISO settings to achieve the best exposure. You can brighten dull photos and bring out the highlights very well even in poor light conditions.
    Crop the pics using your camera or a program on your computer. Make the badge or medal the only thing in the photo. Ashtrays, coffee cups, Cosmopolitan magazines and body parts aren't really needed in the shot.
    If taking a photo of a badge with a catch and hinge, it won't lay flat, it will tilt to one side. Overcome this by propping it level, I use small balls of Blu Tac hidden out of sight.
    Try and include makers marks in the photo and if possible a closeup shot of it will always be helpful.
    These are really basic and non technical tips that most people (even me!) can put into practice very easily at home and obtain reasonable results. Of course, you could always buy or make a light box and get even better images.
    Apologys if it seems as though I'm stating the obvious but good photos really do help!
    Below are a few examples that my poor photography skills have achieved using the above.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photographing badges and medals.   Photographing badges and medals.  

Attached Images Attached Images Photographing badges and medals. 
    Last edited by Adrian; 01-17-2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Typo.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Photographing badges and medals.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Photographing badges and medals.

One note on macro use. If you need to use the flash, take the shot from a distance and use the zoom lense, this will reduce the flash white out and can help on auto focus problems.

Great information Adrian, should improve picture quality for all, including mine. I've also had the problem Rene mentions. It is definitely is a learning experience. The more you do it, the better you get.

Jay

?

Hello! Homemade lighting. If the light is low and you would like to take a pictures, then helps this.enni
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photographing badges and medals.   Photographing badges and medals.  

Attached Images Attached Images Photographing badges and medals.  Photographing badges and medals. 
    Last edited by enni; 01-19-2011 at 07:06 AM.

Excellent photos will take that advice.

Cool Re: Photographing badges and medals.

Good tips for someone like me thats trying to learn as I go! Thanks!

?

Quote by enni View Post
    Hello! Homemade lighting. If the light is low and you would like to take a pictures, then helps this.enni

Wow is that ever a good idea...Great work

I agree with krungt! I've seen some of your photos enni, very detailed . I have to work on my photography skills (a lot)

?

looks like a space camera

I like it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast