Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Re-modelled/denazified Mutterkreuz oddity

Article about: Here is a recent acquisition of mine which I thought I would share: It's a silver Mutterkreuz [Mothers' Cross] that has been de-nazified and re-worked rather skillfully. The center roundel w

Default Re-modelled/denazified Mutterkreuz oddity

Here is a recent acquisition of mine which I thought I would share: It's a silver Mutterkreuz [Mothers' Cross] that has been de-nazified and re-worked rather skillfully.

The center roundel with the Swastika and the text "DER DEUTSCHEN MUTTER" was covered up with a domed piece of silver-colored metal; the ribbon eyelet on top was removed and a pinback assembly was affixed to the rear, using two soldered-on pieces of metal cut to match the arms of the cross.

I rather wonder about the story behind the piece. Of course, the Mutterkreuz was banned post-war and remained so under the 1957 laws; thus, it was not authorized for wear in any form. Perhaps this was a strange individual case of some little old Nazi lady's disobedience with the law, which may or may not have been tolerated in her community?

On the other hand, perhaps the intention behind this was re-cycling a political award into a piece of (religious) jewelry during the frugal post-war years when luxury items of any kind were scarce. Needless to say, the item is still very much recognizable as a mother's cross, so perhaps this explanation is not 100% satisfactory, either.

In any case, I think this is an interesting little oddity:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Re-modelled/denazified Mutterkreuz oddity
    P
    Many

I think it's interesting too!....

I very much like one of a kind items Andreas and this is one of them!
    Congrats,
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

That is a nice piece to show , the mother in question is obviously proud of her family and input into that family(whatever the new state thought). Nice and different aspect to this one! Leon.

go girl go.sod em.

Nicely crafted. An interesting piece indeed.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Here is a recent acquisition of mine which I thought I would share: It's a silver Mutterkreuz [Mothers' Cross] that has been de-nazified and re-worked rather skillfully.

The center roundel with the Swastika and the text "DER DEUTSCHEN MUTTER" was covered up with a domed piece of silver-colored metal; the ribbon eyelet on top was removed and a pinback assembly was affixed to the rear, using two soldered-on pieces of metal cut to match the arms of the cross.

I rather wonder about the story behind the piece. Of course, the Mutterkreuz was banned post-war and remained so under the 1957 laws; thus, it was not authorized for wear in any form. Perhaps this was a strange individual case of some little old Nazi lady's disobedience with the law, which may or may not have been tolerated in her community?

On the other hand, perhaps the intention behind this was re-cycling a political award into a piece of (religious) jewelry during the frugal post-war years when luxury items of any kind were scarce. Needless to say, the item is still very much recognizable as a mother's cross, so perhaps this explanation is not 100% satisfactory, either.

In any case, I think this is an interesting little oddity:
    Very nice addition Andreas. I think both of your explanations are possible although the second one sounds more possible.
    All in all a neat and unique item for sure.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377