Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Spanish Civil War (Italian) Medal

Article about: Hi guys, What do you think to this? it has been in my collection a while and would like to confirm that it is genuine....i would have thought it was quite an unusual medal as its awarded to

?

Default Spanish Civil War (Italian) Medal

Hi guys,

What do you think to this? it has been in my collection a while and would like to confirm that it is genuine....i would have thought it was quite an unusual medal as its awarded to Italians who fought with the Germans in the Spanish Civil War. I believe its on the wrong ribbon though...anyway, see what you think.

Donnie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Spanish Civil War (Italian) Medal
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Spanish Civil War (Italian) Medal

Anybody got any ideas?

Donnie

Default Re: Spanish Civil War (Italian) Medal

Quote by donnie View Post
    Anybody got any ideas?

Donnie

Donnie,

Though it is not my field of collecting, I have managed to find out about your medal:

It is called "Italian Volunteers medal" of the Spanish Civil War . It is a bronze medal awarded (as you said) to the Italian volunteers who fought alongside Franco’s Falangist forces, issued by the spanish government.

The medal looks genuine to me. Regarding the ribbon, There seems to be several variations, but it should basically have the red and gold colours of the spanish flag. (see the photos in the dealer´s pages). Here are some examples of the medal being sold by different dealers. The price range is between 50 and 145 euros:

material fascista italiano

ITALIAN/ SPANISH CIVIL WAR MEDAL en venta en eBay.es (finaliza el 16-mar-09 10:01:04 H.Esp)

WW2 German Italian Militaria :: Fascist Medals (look at item MS11.)

Military - Other Original Medals | item 11851065 | spanish civil war period 1936-39 italian medal for volunteers 1938 | todocoleccion english version

Finally, Here is a photo I have managed to find in the web of an italian Air force Lt. wearing the medal. The caption of the photo is:

"1st Lt. Vito Mussolini, Mussolini's nephew. He was Lt. pilot of the Royal Air Force and, along with Mussolini's two sons, Bruno and Vittorio, fought in the Italo-Ethiopian War in 1935-1936 and then in the Spanish Civil War 1936-1939 along with his two cousins. This photo was taken in 1937. He is shown in his parade uniform of the Royal Italian Air Force. Among the medals he is wearing are, left to right - Bronze Valor Medal, War Merit Cross, Italo-Ethiopian War Medal and Spanish Civil War Volunteer Medal. "

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Gus
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spanish Civil War (Italian) Medal