Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

U-boot Kriegsabzeichen

Article about: Good afternoon everybody. Just bought my first U-boot Kriegsabzeichen from a reputable dealer. The award is by Friedrich Orth. I am just looking for confirmation that everything is OK with t

Default U-boot Kriegsabzeichen

Good afternoon everybody. Just bought my first U-boot Kriegsabzeichen from a reputable dealer. The award is by Friedrich Orth. I am just looking for confirmation that everything is OK with this badge. The pin is magnetic. Many thanks in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U-boot Kriegsabzeichen   U-boot Kriegsabzeichen  

U-boot Kriegsabzeichen   U-boot Kriegsabzeichen  

U-boot Kriegsabzeichen   U-boot Kriegsabzeichen  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U-boot Kriegsabzeichen
    P
    Many

I only have one of these and it's a tombak Schwerin so not ideal for comparison and I am not an expert on these badges but to me yours looks like a decent 2nd variation zinc piece with a good level of finish remaining.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-30-2022 at 03:35 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

My camera doesn't like gold items for some reason. Here is a better picture taken on my phone.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U-boot Kriegsabzeichen  

IMO, it's a good one.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

being the sort of guy who does his purchasing first and research second (I know), I have discovered that this is the type 3 Friedrich Orth with an "O" stamp on the left hand side.

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post
    being the sort of guy who does his purchasing first and research second (I know), I have discovered that this is the type 3 Friedrich Orth with an "O" stamp on the left hand side.

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
    D'Oh! I didn't notice that when I originally looked but of course you are correct. These marks are seen at the side of a vertical pin badge and at the bottom or a horizontal pin badge so it is reasonable to assume that before the pin is attached such a mark would be present in both locations. The actual purpose or cause is unconfirmed as far as I know but the consensus seems to be that it is a "position indicator" that assisted in placing the hardware.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Also found on original FO PAB's.
    Ralph.

U-boot Kriegsabzeichen
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Also found on original FO PAB's.
    Ralph.

U-boot Kriegsabzeichen
    I suppose it could be an ejector mark from the die as the one on the Panzerkampfabzeichen doesn't seem likely to be a position indicator does it? I suppose we will never know unless research turns up some factory notes or such like.

Regards

Mark