Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

U-Boots Kriegsabzeichen, Schwerin, unmarked

Article about: Hi Guys I was able to acquire this unmarked, Schwerin, Tombak, U- Boots Kriegsabzeichen, a while back with the kind help of Norm F & his very informative threads here on WRF & on WAF

Default U-Boots Kriegsabzeichen, Schwerin, unmarked

Hi Guys
    I was able to acquire this unmarked, Schwerin, Tombak, U- Boots Kriegsabzeichen, a while back with the kind help of Norm F & his very informative threads here on WRF & on WAF & being lucky to find an example to buy. It is the last type in Tombak, by Schwerin, being classified a U1.1.10 in the Schwerin U Boat badge 'timeline' (an incredibly researched timeline, amazing).
    The badge details are as follows:
    Weight: 26 gramms
    Width: 47.7 mm
    Height: 38.9 mm
    Thickness: 3.2/4 mm (slight difference around edge, at various points)
    The overall finish is quite 'goldy' in hand, with some areas of wear revealing the Tombak base metal, the pin has been distorted through being worn & interestingly the badge was vaulted by the owner, seems to have been fashionable at the time, the vaulting has left 'slight marks' front & back, very carefully done though, an honest worn example, showing character !
    Cheers All
    Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U-Boots Kriegsabzeichen, Schwerin, unmarked   U-Boots Kriegsabzeichen, Schwerin, unmarked  

U-Boots Kriegsabzeichen, Schwerin, unmarked   U-Boots Kriegsabzeichen, Schwerin, unmarked  

U-Boots Kriegsabzeichen, Schwerin, unmarked   U-Boots Kriegsabzeichen, Schwerin, unmarked  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U-Boots Kriegsabzeichen, Schwerin, unmarked
    P
    Many

Good looking tombak Schwerin and nicely vaulted.

Cheers,Martin.

?

That's a nice badge Paul. I like a vaulted badge and I don't remember seeing many U-Boot badges like it, gives it a nice look and shows it has been worn. Well done on being able to own it.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Many years ago i had the same type of Schwerin variant that was also vaulted.
    Unfortunately,my old badge showed a little more damage from the vaulting process.

Cheers,Martin.U-Boots Kriegsabzeichen, Schwerin, unmarkedU-Boots Kriegsabzeichen, Schwerin, unmarked

Thank you for your comments guys, I was very happy to be able to acquire this badge, thank you for sharing your lovely badge Martin, looks very nice. It took a while to 'pick out' the vaulting marks on my example, with the aid of a loupe & different types of light......a mystery how it was done !
    Paul

It looks as though there are a lot of casting pits in the surface.
    Here's mine as a comparison:
    All the best
    Doug

Hi Doug, from what I understand, this is the last tombak type before Schwerin transitioned to zinc, worn dies, lesser quality tombak at this point, 42/43 & the light pitting is not uncommon for these.Thank you for your comparision badge, is it the exact classification type as mine, or earlier produced, the surface looks flawless
    Paul

Ah okay thanks Paul.
    KM badges are something I’ve never had time to study in depth.
    The badge I show looks good on the obverse but this is one of the group that had the fittings cut off by one of our vets so it could be glued flat on a board
    All the best
    Doug

Cheers Doug, the detailing on my badge, in hand, is very sharp, very apparent in the surface of the leaves, when caught with right light source & loupe, the hardware is all correct too, as it is one of the latter made tombak examples,you can see where the die has become worn in places. If you look closely at Martin's example you can see slight pitting too, which again, I am on the understanding is due to overall lesser quality.
    Paul