Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Warsaw Shield

Article about: I read this was never mass produced so either I'm REALLY lucky or a terrible victim lol. You can see that at one point it was repaired so whomever owned it at one point cared for it at least

Default Warsaw Shield

I read this was never mass produced so either I'm REALLY lucky or a terrible victim lol. You can see that at one point it was repaired so whomever owned it at one point cared for it at least a little haha.

Warsaw ShieldWarsaw ShieldWarsaw ShieldWarsaw Shield

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Warsaw Shield
    P
    Many

Default Re: Warsaw Shield

If this turns out to be real, you'll be extremely lucky. Don't know enough about shields to tell yet. I will be following this thread with interest.
    Tom

From what i have read on WAF, it more of a prototype badge. It also debateable weather any were produced.

Correct me if im wrong

?

As far as I know they were never produced. Thought about and designed, yes. Made, no. Interestingly they were designed by an SS Officer - Benno von Arnt.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I agree with Adrian.

All of these are postwar production.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian View Post
    As far as I know they were never produced. Thought about and designed, yes. Made, no. Interestingly they were designed by an SS Officer - Benno von Arnt.
    The Warsaw Shield was designed and even officially instituted by a Führer decree of 10 December 1944, published on 9 January 1945. (Here's the relevant decree in the Reichsgesetzblatt: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tt_01-1945.jpg )

Much preliminary paperwork was done and - according to a statement by Erich von dem Bach-Zelewski - there were even award certificates for recipients fully prepared. These, however, were never signed or handed out, nor were the shields ever physically awarded, as the tools for producing them were destroyed in an allied air raid. Due to the conditions at this final stage of the war, they were never replaced and the shields were not produced.

Some sources state that a very few prototype badges/trial strikes were made, but this appears to be a matter of debate.

If (and that's a very big if) such originals exist at all, they would be ultra-rare; these shields are, however massively faked. That, and the fact that this one is sewn to a uniform cloth backing are not exactly good signs.

?

IF there were even minimal quantities produced, I would expect that they would be of the typical high Third Reich period standard too, which I fail to see here. What I see above is a typical, crudely made Eastern European fake I'm afraid.

Regards,

Carl