Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Zerstörer-Kriegsabzeichen - Schwerin 68

Article about: Gents, This is my latest pickup - Destroyer Badge by Schwerin in tombak - early to mid-war. According to Weber / Skora this is the 2nd variation of Schwerin Destroyer badge. The 'W' in Schwe

Default Zerstörer-Kriegsabzeichen - Schwerin 68

Gents,

This is my latest pickup - Destroyer Badge by Schwerin in tombak - early to mid-war. According to Weber / Skora this is the 2nd variation of Schwerin Destroyer badge. The 'W' in Schwerin is in alignment with the other letters (unlike 1st variation) and the rows of letters are slightly lower than variation 1.

From further reading i understand there is some debate over which variation came first.

Hope you like.

Nick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Zerstörer-Kriegsabzeichen - Schwerin 68
    P
    Many

Nice one Nick. I've always thought the design of this badge was very advanced for it's time. The bow cutting across the wreath is a great artistic touch. People usually wanted symmetry.

Jay

MAP
    ?

Very nice Nick! A great example!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Congrats !! Great addition to your growing badge collection.

I'm not very fond of this one Nick,
    There looks to be some lumps of spare metal on your badge that is not on any others that I have seen and the MM on the back looks a little rounded and flattened.

May be wrong but I it would not be one I would want

All the best
    Doug

Thanks gents for all the comments.

Doug - I take your point on the lumps of spare metal - particularly the one under the bow gun. I wonder if there is an explanation for this?
    The markings on the back looked worn, but good to me and also looked to line up in the correct areas.
    Everything else looked to line up (and I spent a long time comparing).

I'd be interested in hearing from Norm and Martin as well.

Thanks
    Nick

MAP
    ?

Sharp eye Doug, I was on my cell phone when I first saw this. I see these clearly now. At this point I will defer to others.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

IMO despite the "lumps" which could be die flaws,that were later corrected i have to think that this is a good type 2 Schwerin tombak award.

The earlier examples had a "deformed" swastika,which was corrected on the later,2nd type obverse die.

The reverse die was also renewed.

Here is a good example of the type 1 tombak Schwerin that i used to own,"deformed" swastika and different positioning of the MM.

I like the badge posted by Nick,it would be really hard to fake the "flaking" of the finish on the reverse edges.

Regards,Martin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Zerstörer-Kriegsabzeichen - Schwerin 68   Zerstörer-Kriegsabzeichen - Schwerin 68  

Thanks Martin,

I had indeed seen your type one badge on WAF and the discussion around it. Both types are now in the later print of the Weber / Skora book as you probably already know. I try to do as much research as I can around everything I'm interested in or want to purchase - partly because knowledge is power, but also it's half the fun learning about something you're really interested in.

Thanks again to everyone else who commented including Doug - the additional lumps of metal are perhaps an anomaly? I hope so anyway.
    I did examine everything else in detail on the badge and compared to other known examples - really spent a long time looking at it - and everything seems to line up.

Kind Regards
    Nick

?

Hi Guys,

Good observation by Nick on the obverse die flaws. These die flaws were acquired towards the tail end of Tombak production and are seen in only a few examples of the later "Type 2" design (another example attached). The same die was then used for the zinc production which again show the same flaws (example attached).

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Zerstörer-Kriegsabzeichen - Schwerin 68   Zerstörer-Kriegsabzeichen - Schwerin 68  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast