MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

1951-1957 Russian era military badge and AK47 oiler questions

Article about: Hello all. I'm a newbie here looking for information pertaining to the time period during which the AK47 (specifically the Type III) was standard issue to Russian troops (1951-1957). My inte

Quetico
    ?

Default 1951-1957 Russian era military badge and AK47 oiler questions

Hello all. I'm a newbie here looking for information pertaining to the time period during which the AK47 (specifically the Type III) was standard issue to Russian troops (1951-1957). My interests are more along the lines of gun collecting/restoring and I'll admit to knowing little of medals, badges or decorations. I've recently finished a very finely restored Type III AK47 replica and would like to accent its display with an appropriate and authentic Russian badge (as opposed to a medal) of the same era, something easily recognizable as Russian. Ideally, it would be striking in appearance, maybe 2-3" in size, not too costly, and easily obtainable. I'm completely open to ideas and would welcome your suggestions. I've seen hat cockades of many types but do not know which style is appropriate to the time period (there may be several). The cockades were appealing because they can be pinned to (say) a rifle case or magazine pouch for display and are often colorful with classic Russian symbols (hammer, sickle, or stars). But you may have other suggestions which I would very much welcome. My second question may not be appropriate to this forum; if not, I'd appreciate being redirected to the correct area; AK47s were maintained with cleaning kits issued with "oilers", small, dual-chambered round or squarish bottles which held both oil and alkaline cleaners. There were many Russian oiler styles and I'd like to know which Russian style (shape and markings) is appropriate for this same time period. I've collected a couple types over the years, but have not been able to determine which is historically correct for the period. The many gun forums I follow focus strictly on the weapons rather than support equipment. Any help on either of these two questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: 1951-1957 Russian era military badge and AK47 oiler questions

An 'excellent soldier badge', a 'guards badge', one of the blue, numbered qualifications badges, &/or a paratrooper's badge would be good choices, IMO. All are pretty cheap (around $10) and easily found on eBay.

Answering an old question..

I ssume you mean "milled receiver" when you mention Type III by the year reference you have listed.

There are two types of milled receiver largely. The first type (1951-1955) is usually referred to type II, and the most common milled receiver (1956 - 1960/61) is referred to as Type III.

There are some earlier and later samples. But are considered outside the normal issue or supply. Mostly pre-production samples or the very tail end years.

Hope this info helps! Cheers FD

Between those years are made lot of prototypes and testing models... so then it was used standard 56-A-212 ( reduced weight AK ) that in 1953. got first bayonet 26-X-212 (6x2) even if existed as experimental 6x1 bayonet it was used just for testing in 1951. Some of testing/prototype models were: from 1951, AK/AKS bipod prototype from 1953, prototype C-04-M (S-04-M) and testing model A-55 from 1955..
    Early type of oiler ( maslenka ) was same round metal type used with mosin nagant rifle with two caps or metal with one cap but also used square type..

1951-1957 Russian era military badge and AK47 oiler questions1951-1957 Russian era military badge and AK47 oiler questions1951-1957 Russian era military badge and AK47 oiler questions

If you want nice soviet badges like mentioned before ...
    1951-1957 Russian era military badge and AK47 oiler questions1951-1957 Russian era military badge and AK47 oiler questions