Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

2 Medals For Courage (~Bravery) "За отвагу" with sequential serial numbers!

Article about: What You think about them? They are originals. Any information is welcomed! And. Condition is bad but what they are worth? Thank you!

That is quite possible. Only research will determine if your hypothesis is correct. If issued to two different persons I would further hypothesize they may have been assigned to the same unit, but again, all this is speculative until researched.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2 Medals For Courage (~Bravery) "За отвагу" with sequential serial numbers!
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Mehti Safarov View Post
    Moneywise not expensive. However ground dug always adds value to me since they ''saw" a real battle.

This order of numbers means that they were awarded within a week. So I don't think they were awarded to the same person.
    Actually, even though people always want to link serial numbers to award dates, there's no real relation between the two. What matters is the date the medals were issued. It's quite possible that, say, a medal that was awarded on paper in January 1944 and a medal that was awarded on paper in April 1945 were issued together shortly after the war, and then you would see sequential (or at least close) serial numbers. I have seen this numerous times. Whenever two medals with sequential serial numbers pop up in one place, they are usually a set.

Quote by Auke View Post
    Actually, even though people always want to link serial numbers to award dates, there's no real relation between the two. What matters is the date the medals were issued. It's quite possible that, say, a medal that was awarded on paper in January 1944 and a medal that was awarded on paper in April 1945 were issued together shortly after the war, and then you would see sequential (or at least close) serial numbers. I have seen this numerous times. Whenever two medals with sequential serial numbers pop up in one place, they are usually a set.
    However, in the overwhelming majority of cases the dates as per the 'paper' i.e. award order (Приказ) correspond to the number of the award in terms of the number sequence.

With the exceptions you've mentioned that rule has proven to be reliable in various sources.

Otherwise all references including your own overview don't make sense at all.
    Red Star Serial number Date range chart.

?

I wouldn't call it an 'overwhelming majority of cases' - there are numerous outliers - but of course a certain chronology can indeed be observed in serial numbers. The overviews you mention are far from perfect because of all these outliers, but since award dates (prikaz dates) are much more readily available than dates of issue, I thought it would make sense to make a basic overview linking serial numbers to award dates. However, the 'borders' in these lists should be considered grey areas.

Quote by Auke View Post
    I wouldn't call it an 'overwhelming majority of cases' - there are numerous outliers - but of course a certain chronology can indeed be observed in serial numbers. The overviews you mention are far from perfect because of all these outliers, but since award dates (prikaz dates) are much more readily available than dates of issue, I thought it would make sense to make a basic overview linking serial numbers to award dates. However, the 'borders' in these lists should be considered grey areas.
    Other than the all awards (numbered ones) registered in archives, records of about 13 million awards are availiable in online database only.

If you assume outliers are, say, as much as a million (which I sincerely doubt) this would be just less than 1/10 of the whole number.

One way or another, only research of these two medals will put the matter to rest.
    Last edited by Mehti Safarov; 07-04-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Quote by Mehti Safarov View Post
    One way or another, only research of these two medals will put the matter to rest.
    Precisely what I was endeavoring to convey...
    Last edited by Bill Garvy; 07-05-2014 at 01:17 PM.

I'm 100% sure that these two medals belongs to one person. Because they come in one place with Gvardia badge and Leningrad defender medal. It seems that he lost her uniform/or bag whit medals.

Very interesting group! I would also say they belonged to one individual, a fair guess.
    Have you sent for archive research?
    Would be fantastic if a name and story could be connected to the medals.
    May I ask where they were found?

Best regards
    Erik

Quote by Freikorpsov View Post
    I'm 100% sure that these two medals belongs to one person. Because they come in one place with Gvardia badge and Leningrad defender medal. It seems that he lost her uniform/or bag whit medals.
    That is still an assumption. Without research you will never know, as mentioned a few times before already. Assumptions don't count, facts do.

They were found from Sworbe peninsula, from battlefield around Kaimri village. May have been belong to russian or estonian soldier. refers to the highest probability is that he were russian.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast