Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Combat merit and Leningrad defense medals

Article about: Hi all. I have just bought these group medals, and I would like to know if these are original Soviet medals or not. One has lost its ribbon. One point that strikes me is that the numbers eng

?

Default Combat merit and Leningrad defense medals

Hi all.

I have just bought these group medals, and I would like to know if these are original Soviet medals or not. One has lost its ribbon.

One point that strikes me is that the numbers engraved on the 2 combat merit medals look different. What do you think?. Ribbons look ok for me.

If any one could help me, it would be very apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Combat merit and Leningrad defense medals
    P
    Many

Hi Schum,

To me, both Combat Merit looks good. The 985,566 is an Type 2 Variation 1 and the 1,348,749 is an Type 2 Variation 2. Type 2 are on five-sided suspension while the saber hilt is curved down on Variation 1 and straight on Variation 2. Both should approximately be awarded in 1944. The serial number on both looks fine to me, comparable to others in similar number range. Although maybe higher quality photos would be better to judge? Their suspension also looks original to me.

For the Defense of Leningrad medal, it appears to be a long horizon variation. Other than that, I'm not too sure about this medal. Maybe someone can help to chip in here?

For serial number engraving, you can look at Matt's past archive of sold Combat Merit medals to gauge whether the engraving is similar
    Link here: Sold Bravery Medals | Soviet Orders

You can also learn about the Type and Variations of the Combat Merit Medal here, on this great website: Медаль "ЗА БОЕВЫЕ ЗАСЛУГИ" - 1

For research into this group, you can approach Auke or Matt. Personally, I have approached Auke for his service multiple times, and he is great. Links: Research service and Research | Soviet Orders

You can also look at researched Combat Merit Medals here on this site and see if there's any medal that's close to the ones you have. Then, you'll roughly know the approximate date of the award and, the formation that awards the medal.
    Link: Researched Medals "For Combat Merits" - Page 5 - The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum

Hope these helps?

?

Hi Red Wind.

Thank you for the information. A very interesting links. Great help.

For the Defense of Leningrad medal, let's see if anyone else can give their point of view.

Thank you again.

The 985,566 combat services is likely an 'action' award. The 1,348,749 is in a block of long service awards. Only way to know is of course to pull the record card.
    In my view the Leningrad is good with the classic original mount these are seen on.

?

Thank you meyerse.

Interesting information.
    The leningrad defence medal looks very nice and I had my doubts....

Thank you again.

?

Agreeing with everything else said here and adding that that Leningrad medal is in excellent condition with quite possibly original suspension and ribbon. Hard to upgrade from that one, IMO.

Quote by ericfg View Post
    Agreeing with everything else said here and adding that that Leningrad medal is in excellent condition with quite possibly original suspension and ribbon. Hard to upgrade from that one, IMO.
    Leningrad medal looks so good, my first instict said fake. (It does look legit)
    Looks like it came right out of the factory.