Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Combat merit/vienna capture medal grouping

Article about: Picked up this combat merit medal and capture of vienna medal and was hopeful someone might be able to translate the name or if possible point me towards a research site.

Default Combat merit/vienna capture medal grouping

Picked up this combat merit medal and capture of vienna medal and was hopeful someone might be able to translate the name or if possible point me towards a research site.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Combat merit/vienna capture medal grouping   Combat merit/vienna capture medal grouping  

Combat merit/vienna capture medal grouping   Combat merit/vienna capture medal grouping  

Combat merit/vienna capture medal grouping  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Combat merit/vienna capture medal grouping
    P
    Many

Anton Nikolaevich Soroka.

Nice grouping.

Thank you! I checked his name on a site but it didint give much other than the document listed and that he was awarded an order of the patriotic war as well. Would you be able to translate the paragraph on that document? If not you already helped me alot, thank you.

Hi, wanted to share that Google Docs can actually help with the translation. You can upload a photo of the citation to Google Drive and then, open the image as a Google Doc. Apparently Google Docs will try to recognize the letters in the photo and input it into the document. Then you can use Google Translate to translate the Cyrillic letters in the document to English.

It's harder in the case of handwritten Cyrillic as in the case here, but it was able to still make out some words. It seems he was awarded the combat service medal for providing immediate medical assistance more than once to the wounded during enemy shelling.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong? Thanks.

Edit: found the correct Anton. Link in next post.

I checked the document better and it is from the 1159 Houwitser Artillery Regiment so that says that this is your Anton:

Сорока Антон Николаевич :: Память народа

The citation for your Anton is mentioned under number 4 on the handwritten document you posted.

I greatly appreciate the help gentlemen.

Is it common for the vienna medal to not be listed and only on paper?

You mean not being mentioned on Pamyat Naroda? Quite common yes, especially when it is postwar handed medals via the Military Commissariat like this Vienna medal.
    If you mean not being listed in the award booklet next to the War Merit medal, than yes, campaign medals are not mentioned in award booklets.

Yes, thats exactlly what I ment for both. Thank you for the response.