Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Eba misrepresentation of OGPW

Article about: Ebay seller daniellewis35 is currently offering this as a WWII example under listing number 284474426917; The box label suggests a grade II or silver award but the item pictured looks to me

Default Eba misrepresentation of OGPW

Ebay seller daniellewis35 is currently offering this as a WWII example under listing number 284474426917;

Eba misrepresentation of OGPWEba misrepresentation of OGPWEba misrepresentation of OGPW

The box label suggests a grade II or silver award but the item pictured looks to me to be rather gold in appearance.

Either way does anyone believe for a moment that this is a WWII period example of either grade?
    I suggest it is not convincing as a WWII silver grade II but looks nothing like the gold or grade I award.
    Also if it were WWII how likely is a Grade I OGPW to be offered at such a price?

I previously sent him a message when the same items appeared in another listing and this was his reply;

"Hi Mark.
    Thanks for the info. I think Dan had them looked at by a guy in Russian he deals with a lot. Really not his area as he does German and Allied stuff from the Western front.
    We had about 200 of these all varied conditions etc but we are down to about 40 now I think.
    Again thank you for the info.
    Best wishes,
    Dan"

What does one make of that? 200 pieces Plus are there two people called Dan or is this a split personality?

In the listing he mentions the proliference of fakes and urges ebayers to "buy with confidence"

Well, that's OK then

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eba misrepresentation of OGPW
    P
    Many

These are offered as wartime awards all the time at Ebay and even by some dealers. They either don't know or just try to fool buyers.

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    These are offered as wartime awards all the time at Ebay and even by some dealers. They either don't know or just try to fool buyers.
    Indeed and to collectors who know the difference they present no theat. However, what really annoyed me is that I have previously pointed the issue out to him and he gave that really vague reply. Whilst the price is not that of a WWII piece it is more than it should be and I hate the idea that there is nothing to prevent this clear (to me anyway) dishonesty!

Reardsgs

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I try not to bother anymore because I would be annoyed 24/7 with so many dishonest sellers. All I can do is avoid such sellers as much as I can.

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    I try not to bother anymore because I would be annoyed 24/7 with so many dishonest sellers. All I can do is avoid such sellers as much as I can.
    I feel the same way. It's just that when I see something like this I want to at least put it somewhere where it will be exposed to other collectors who might in turn warn somebody off