Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help authenticating Order of Glory 2nd class and a Medal for the Defence of Odessa

Article about: Hi fellow collectors, Two medals have recently came up for auction and I am interested whether or not they are original. The Order of Glory 2nd class looks to me like a genuine Type 3 (thick

Default Help authenticating Order of Glory 2nd class and a Medal for the Defence of Odessa

Hi fellow collectors,

Two medals have recently came up for auction and I am interested whether or not they are original.

The Order of Glory 2nd class looks to me like a genuine Type 3 (thick) variant.
    The Medal for the Defence of Odessa seems to be a proper first variant.

My untrained eye can't find anything that seems off, but I am aware that these are often faked.

For that reason I would really appreciate some second opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Lars

Help authenticating Order of Glory 2nd class and a Medal for the Defence of Odessa Help authenticating Order of Glory 2nd class and a Medal for the Defence of Odessa Help authenticating Order of Glory 2nd class and a Medal for the Defence of Odessa

Help authenticating Order of Glory 2nd class and a Medal for the Defence of Odessa Help authenticating Order of Glory 2nd class and a Medal for the Defence of Odessa Help authenticating Order of Glory 2nd class and a Medal for the Defence of Odessa

Help authenticating Order of Glory 2nd class and a Medal for the Defence of Odessa Help authenticating Order of Glory 2nd class and a Medal for the Defence of Odessa
    Last edited by MisterSwag; 09-11-2021 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Messed up the pictures.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help authenticating Order of Glory 2nd class and a Medal for the Defence of Odessa
    P
    Many

Imo Odessa medal is a fake. Need bigger/better pics from the Glory.

you are correct about the glory
    a 96,### 2nd degree glory? No....someone has removed the first digit. It's a 3rd class. you can see the removal marks.
    unfortunately with removing the first number it now has little value.
    Be VERY cautious with 2nds, the number on the back can be removed almost imperceptibly too.

The scratchmarks can vaguely be seen on the front of the serial # but these pics are just shitty.

The document for the medal appears to be authentic, but given the assessment of others regarding this group I would definitely pass. If original, the document would be the only original item in this group, however the entries and stamp may indeed be forgeries.

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    The scratchmarks can vaguely be seen on the front of the serial # but these pics are just shitty.
    agree on crappy pics, is it a 2? so 26K? trying to figure out what three it would be if a three, or if the oberse could even be a 26k but here to the obverse doesn't match the die for 26K, so that doesn't work either....I'm guessing it is a removed 1 or 2 at the beginning for a 3.

Thanks for the elaborate responses!

I will definitely pass on this group.

Although the pictures are indeed not the best (sorry, I don't have much better pictures), upon closer inspection I understand what you mean with the scratchmarks on the Order of Glory - such a shame. Regarding the serial number, I read the first digit as a 2 instead of a 9, which would let if fall in the right serial range for a third type.

With regards to the Odessa medal, what makes you think it is not original?

Always willing to learn more about these pieces!

Thanks again.

Regards,
    Lars

Just for clarity: Help authenticating Order of Glory 2nd class and a Medal for the Defence of Odessa

if it is a 2, then the obverse is not right for a 2nd degree of 26K, so that further confirms it is a 3rd degree.....

Could you explain to me what would be wrong with the obverse? Again, always trying to educate myself on these pieces. I own an extensive reference book (The Comprehensive Guide to Soviet Orders and Medals) but even that doesn't seem to sufficiently guard me from pieces such as this.

I tend to think that it is a 9 on the serial number and not a 2 but without decent pics it can not be said with 100% certainty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast