Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Medal for Bravery # 957034 awarded to Armored Boar radio operator

Article about: My latest Bravery medal with serial number 957034 is a very nice one with great research imo. The medal is awarded to Azeri Guards Red Fleet soldier Jilkovskiy who was a radio operator on Ar

Default Medal for Bravery # 957034 awarded to Armored Boar radio operator

My latest Bravery medal with serial number 957034 is a very nice one with great research imo. The medal is awarded to Azeri Guards Red Fleet soldier Jilkovskiy who was a radio operator on Armored Boat no. 215 from the 1st Guards Armored Boat Division 1st Kerch Red Banner Nakhimov Danube Military Flotilla.

The citation reads as follows:
    "Guards Red Fleet soldier Jilkovskiy – radio operator of Armored Boat is participant of all combat actions of Danube ports liberation. During the operation of liberation of port Smederovo (Serbia) Guards Red Fleetsoldier Jilkovskiy despite of enemy artillery fire maintained excellent radio communication with detachment commander and Red Army units, reported to the commander on the situation.

On 18 - 19th of October during artillery bombardment of enemy fortifications near Belgrade Guards Red Fleet soldier Jilkovskiy uninterruptedly kept radio contact with the Red Army correction post and transmitted data to ships artillery guns. As result of this, 2 mortar batteries were destroyed and counterattack of enemy infantry was repulsed. Worthy of a government award because of his military merits.
    Commander of 1st GSABD Captain-Lieutenant Barbotko
    24th of October 1944

I reward Bravery medal
    Commander of 1st Kerch Red Banner brigade of river ships of Danube Military Flotilla
    Hero of the Soviet Union Captain of 2nd rank Derjavin

Awarded Bravery medal according Order #06 of Commander of 1st Kerch Red Banner brigade of river ships of Danube Military Flotilla from 27th of November 1944
    Chief of Staff of 1st Kerch Red Banner brigade of river ships
    Captain of 3d rank Milyukov"

Medal for Bravery # 957034 awarded to Armored Boar radio operatorMedal for Bravery # 957034 awarded to Armored Boar radio operator

Medal for Bravery # 957034 awarded to Armored Boar radio operatorMedal for Bravery # 957034 awarded to Armored Boar radio operator

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medal for Bravery # 957034 awarded to Armored Boar radio operator
    P
    Many

For his actions Red Fleet soldier Jilkovskiy was furthermore awarded the medals "Liberation of Belgrade", "Capture of Vienna" and "Victory over Germany".

Hero of Soviet Union and commander of Kerch Red Banner brigade of river ships of Danube Military Flotilla Caption 2nd rank Derjavin Pavel Ivanovich who approved and signed the recommendation:

The interesting thing about this medal is not that there's a ton of information on the awardee, Red Fleet soldier Vilkovskiy. But the Armored Boat # 215 on which Vilkovski manned the radio station is a completely different story. Here there's quite some more info to be found.

Armored Boat # 215 of the model BKA1125 initially served in the Baltic Fleet and was captured by the Finns as a wartrophy. On August 23, 1941, during the battle in the Vyborg Bay, the B-215 got hit, threw itself onto the stones of Bolshoy Pogranichny Island (Fin. Paatio) and was blown up by the crew. A little later, the Finns discovered it and sent it to a shipyard, where the boat was restored and even modernized. The 76-mm L-10 cannon remained in its original place in the turret of the T-28 tank, but Finnish machine guns were installed in the small turrets, and most importantly - added two torpedo tubes (or one double-tube) for firing 450-mm torpedoes.

After that, the boat was reclassified as a patrol boat and received the designation VTV-1. In June 1942, after a short service in the Gulf of Finland, the guard was sent to Lake Onega to reinforce the flotilla created there. In June 1944, while retreating, the Finns blew up their ships, but VTV-1 was saved and sent to Finland. However, when the armistice was signed, the Soviet side demanded its return, and at the end of 1944, under the designation BK-215, the boat again became part of the Baltic Fleet and finally Danube Fleet where Vilkovskiy manned the radio station.

Interestingly enough the Finns have some pics when they found the boat on the shore, abandoned by the Soviets.

Besides the Order of Red Banner and the Order of Nakhimov the 1st Kerch Red Banner Nakhimov Danube Military Flotilla also was awarded the Order of Kutuzov 2nd class as can be seen on the Danube Flotilla banner:

Finally, a replica was made from one of the armored boats and this pic shows the steering cabin on which in the back of the cabin the radio operator was maintaining radio communication, the place where Vilkovskiy was stationed.

All in all, this research shows than an "average" Bravery medal (many collectors don't value these high enough in regards to research) still can show an interesting story. One of many from the Great Patriotic War

Very nice with fascinating history
    First time I have seen the Danube Flotilla mentioned

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Can a moderator please change in title the word boar to boat please. Sunday morning still sleepy error

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    Can a moderator please change in title the word boar to boat please. Sunday morning still sleepy error
    I thought an armoured boar was a new secret weapon the Soviets had
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Very nice with fascinating history
    First time I have seen the Danube Flotilla mentioned

Nick
    I also never paid much interest in the Danube Military Flotilla but they even got up all the way into Vienna where the Fleet was awarded the Order of Kutuzov 2nd class: Danube Flotilla (Soviet Union) - Wikipedia

Marcel,

Thanks for the write up. Always nice to read the background and other pertinent information concerning the awardee. Adds to the historical aspect.

Gerry C.

From the Still Dry High Plains of the Midwest U.S.A.