Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Odessa Medal with weird red paint all over it

Article about: Hi all- My fellow collector friend has asked me to post about this Odessa Medal as he doesn't have an account here. I told him it was fake, be he wants to hear what others from the forum hav

Default Odessa Medal with weird red paint all over it

Hi all- My fellow collector friend has asked me to post about this Odessa Medal as he doesn't have an account here. I told him it was fake, be he wants to hear what others from the forum have to say about it. Also, has anyone ever seen red paint all over like this before on a soviet medal? There seems to be red paint almost all over the medal. Just curious.
    The auctioneers say this is a Type 1, and that would be true as it has a soldered ring, but I personally believe that it is a fake because of the lack of detail on the obverse, the solder job is sloppy, the suspension seems to be wrong, and it has that red stuff all over it.

Odessa Medal with weird red paint all over itOdessa Medal with weird red paint all over it

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Odessa Medal with weird red paint all over it
    P
    Many

A fake imo. Look at the ribbons of the sailor's cap, the shape of the helmet, the rifle sling, the stars on the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position, the left soldier's gasmaskbag flap, the rightside of the 6 o'clock ribbon......

Edit: is it paint or some sort of oxidation?

Thanks for the reply, Marcel.

We were trying to figure that out as well. It is definitely weird because in my eyes the front looks like it is red paint, but in the back, it seems like it may be oxidation.

That's some serious oxidation. Haven't seen such heavy oxidation for an original medal. I agree with Marcel!

Possibly because brass doesn't oxidize in orange rust to my knowledge. If it's a fake made out of iron it would make more sense.

I wonder what the auctioneer is asking as startingprice for this medal?

Edit: And I wonder when people start to stay away from all those shady auctions. Go to respectable dealers and be safe with your purchase.

I'm not sure, my friend didn't tell me.

You know how it is Marcel, shady auctions are cheaper than the respectable dealers. I feel the same as you, I'd rather pay more and not get shafted but there's always those that try to find the lucky cheap finds.

.....and almost always get burned in the end.

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    A fake imo. Look at the ribbons of the sailor's cap, the shape of the helmet, the rifle sling, the stars on the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position, the left soldier's gasmaskbag flap, the rightside of the 6 o'clock ribbon......

Edit: is it paint or some sort of oxidation?
    Yep I agree that the medal is a bad fake.

As for the discolouration it would help if the pics were bigger but I am inclined to go with the "paint" theory in as much as it appears to be an applied finish that has worn away rather than a natural "leeching" process from an alloy. To me it looks like where the colour changes there are edges as if flaking and scratching not the unclear "fuzziness" seen in oxidation. Possibly this is an old fashioned varnish (not as inert as modern lacquers) that was clear when applied but that has discoloured over time through degeneration and reaction with other substances and the air.

It is an interesting piece from the point of view of future reference but it is not one you would want in a collection!

Regards

Mark
    Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast