Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Order of Glory

Article about: Just added this medal to my Soviet collection. Its starting to grow now so will take a group shot soon Nick

Default Order of Glory

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Order of Glory
    P
    Many

Default Order of Glory

Starting to grow a Soviet collection and just added this medal.

I will post a group shot of my Red Army collection soon

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Order of Glory   Order of Glory  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Look forward to seeing it

Quote by robin morley View Post
    Look forward to seeing it

Me too! I have a small collection of Soviet items that began with the "know your enemy" principle whilst serving during "The Cold War" (thank the stars we are all best buddies now right?) and developed probably because of my "childish obsession with old army stuff" (guess who said that!).

I did lift the pedal somewhat on Soviet stuff because of the dire issue with fakes, as bad as TR stuff but harder to spot because of techniques still available in the East.

Anyway, your medal looks like a good 3rd class type 2 variation 2 (rotating tool engraved number). The 2nd class is the most highly faked as far as I know whis is usually done by gold plating the central medallion of a 3rd class and dicking aroung with the serial number. All easily and economically done in that part of the world. I am even aware of 1st class medals being made from scratch in gold! How can that be viable?

I naturally don't have a 1st class (I work for a living!!) but here are a couple of pics of my 3rd class a type 2 variation 1 (hand engraved number) and 2nd class type 2 thin. I have never been 100% confident in the originality of the 2nd class but as you can see it is a lot thinner than the 3rd class (2nd class was made in thick and thin versions but 3rd class was only thick) so if it is a fake it is not a converted 3rd class. This seems to have been a highly regarded award as the priviledges accorded to a "Cavalier" (all three grades) of the Order of Glory were quite extensive.

I must do a group shot of all my Soviet stuff when I have time

Regards

Mark

Order of GloryOrder of GloryOrder of GloryOrder of GloryOrder of Glory
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hi Nick, for me the real beauty of numbered Soviet awards is the fact that you can research the original owner.

Nice medal and one of my favourites.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Very nice indeed Mark

I look forward to seeing your group shot !

Nick

You still have your EK collection Nick? If so, is it all on display now given your lack of spousal disapproval?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    You still have your EK collection Nick? If so, is it all on display now given your lack of spousal disapproval?
    Yes I still have it all but not yet on display, my flat is a bit too small

Nick