Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Order of The Red Star & Order of Great Patriotic War

Article about: Hello chaps, I have today received an example of each of these awards. I don't yet have any pics but I will add some in the next day or two. The question I have is how can one tell the diffe

Default Order of The Red Star & Order of Great Patriotic War

Hello chaps,

I have today received an example of each of these awards. I don't yet have any pics but I will add some in the next day or two. The question I have is how can one tell the difference between a wartime issued OoTRS and a post war reissue? It has a recessed makers mark and an issue number of 955561. Circular screwback clamp with two raised domes, one at either side of the screw thread. the other award is certainly 1985 issue as I have learned from research here.

Pics to follow, thanks for any assistance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Order of The Red Star & Order of Great Patriotic War
    P
    Many

Default Re: Order of The Red Star & Order of Great Patriotic War

From what you describe, (if it is a second class) it is a wartime issue. The 1985 veterans issues, don't have any rivets (the domes you talk about) in the back, they are a single piece (unlike wartime ones). Plus if it is a second class, the wartime issue versions were up over 1 million....so yours is a late one. Pictures will tell the tale, but it sounds like a war time second class OGPW to me.

Cheers!

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Hello chaps,

I have today received an example of each of these awards. I don't yet have any pics but I will add some in the next day or two. The question I have is how can one tell the difference between a wartime issued OoTRS and a post war reissue? It has a recessed makers mark and an issue number of 955561. Circular screwback clamp with two raised domes, one at either side of the screw thread. the other award is certainly 1985 issue as I have learned from research here.

Pics to follow, thanks for any assistance!
    The SN on the ORS will tell all! Do you plan to have it researched?

As Forrest Gump would say: "Researching an ORS is like a box o' chocolates... Ya never know whatcha gonna get!"

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    The SN on the ORS will tell all! Do you plan to have it researched?

As Forrest Gump would say: "Researching an ORS is like a box o' chocolates... Ya never know whatcha gonna get!"
    I was thinking of doing so Joe, in fact I was going to contact you directly regarding these as I know you have a few yourself

How would I go about finding out about the recipient?

And to Meyerse, I think I have given the wrong impression to you with my description. Regarding the GPW, the domes are on the screwback disc piece. I know what you mean with the rivets now that I have had a look in google at others but they are not on the award itself. It is one solid cast piece with a makers mark in relief, and yes it is a 2nd class. I found a thread by Ade S which says that this must be a 1985 edition. It's the ORS that I am wondering about.

Thanks guys!

I found this picture on The History of the Order of the Red Star, by Michael Riley, it is this type that I have as far as I can tell.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    I was thinking of doing so Joe, in fact I was going to contact you directly regarding these as I know you have a few yourself

How would I go about finding out about the recipient?

And to Meyerse, I think I have given the wrong impression to you with my description. Regarding the GPW, the domes are on the screwback disc piece. I know what you mean with the rivets now that I have had a look in google at others but they are not on the award itself. It is one solid cast piece with a makers mark in relief, and yes it is a 2nd class. I found a thread by Ade S which says that this must be a 1985 edition. It's the ORS that I am wondering about.

Thanks guys!

I found this picture on The History of the Order of the Red Star, by Michael Riley, it is this type that I have as far as I can tell.

Forum member Auke is able to do the research for a reasonable fee, especially compared to others out there who charge an arm and a leg!

If I were you, I'd make sure this ORS was earned during the war (you can tell based on the SN range)... as the majority of later examples were earned for long service. Either way, the citations for these are cool... but the ones earned for combat are much more exciting and the colorful language used to describe the act of bravery against Hitlerites is just amazing in my honest opinion!

If you provide the serial number of your Order of the Red Star it is possible to determine date of manufacture as well as an approximation of the award date. . .

The number is in the first post, 955561

Thanks folks!

Sorry, I missed it. Per the "Green Bible" (Schmitt) that number, #955561, falls within the range of long-service awards conferred November 3rd, 1944, which is also consistent with the information contained in Durov, which indicates this Red Star was minted 1944, in Moscow.

Thanks Bill, I appreciate you taking the time to check that