Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Please help identify my late Grandfather's Soviet medal!

Article about: Hello, I know the photo I've attached is really unclear but it's all I have. My Grandfather was a Czechoslovakian Jew that escaped a Nazi death camp and was captured by the Soviets. He becam

Default Please help identify my late Grandfather's Soviet medal!

Hello,

I know the photo I've attached is really unclear but it's all I have. My Grandfather was a Czechoslovakian Jew that escaped a Nazi death camp and was captured by the Soviets. He became a Russian paratrooper and after a successful mission that involved the capture of a Nazi general he (reportedly) received this medal from Stalin. Anyway, I would immensely appreciate it if someone here could identify this medal for me.

Thanks so much,

S

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Please help identify my late Grandfather's Soviet medal!
    P
    Many

Hi shimyns

Might it be this medal - The Czechoslovakian medal of valour. It looks similar to that in the photo you post.

I don't think this medal was issued until 1946, perhaps others may know better

Hi jamie7d7,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will take a very close look at this. From my Grandfather's picture, it looks like there's a point coming out of the top left corner that is absent in this medal but maybe that's not actually a point. The color scheme of the ribbon is very similar.. but I'm not sure if exactly? Also, I really don't know if by that time, he was anywhere near (fought) Czechoslovakia and I'm trying to find more details.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will look closely at this medal!

And if anyone else has any ideas I'd much appreciate them.

Quote by shimyns View Post
    Hi jamie7d7,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will take a very close look at this. From my Grandfather's picture, it looks like there's a point coming out of the top left corner that is absent in this medal but maybe that's not actually a point. The color scheme of the ribbon is very similar.. but I'm not sure if exactly? Also, I really don't know if by that time, he was anywhere near (fought) Czechoslovakia and I'm trying to find more details.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will look closely at this medal!

And if anyone else has any ideas I'd much appreciate them.
    Also, my understanding is that he was a soldier in the Russian army and therefore I would have expected it to be a Soviet medal.. but my historical knowledge is very lacking.

Yeah no problem.

I recognised the medal in your photo as the czech one as prior to my trip to prague in november I had done a little research into what medals i might find.

Someone may correct me but I think most Russian ww2 medals were either badges or the double ribbon effect. I don't suppose you know when your grandfather was given the medal?

Happy (info) hunting, Jamie

I await correction.

You may have gotten it right! I just spoke with my Aunt who said she recalled it was the "zachbros". After searching online, I found that the medal that you suggested is called the "Ceskoslovenskou Medaila za Chrabrost [Medal of Valor] ".

Za Chrabrost. So she pronounced it wrong but it seems like this is the one! Thank you very much!