Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Quick question about suspensions

Article about: Just a quick question about five-sided suspensions: I have a Sevastopol medal that has a thin aluminium suspension that looks pretty out of place for the age of the medal. Were these awards

Default Quick question about suspensions

Just a quick question about five-sided suspensions: I have a Sevastopol medal that has a thin aluminium suspension that looks pretty out of place for the age of the medal. Were these awards ever issued with these or is it a suspension from a much later medal/replacement/fake? Would all older issue medals come with either the two-part suspension or brass?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Quick question about suspensions
    P
    Many

I believe later issued awards of these would have been aluminum like yours. Earlier issued would have the 2 piece suspension.
    I don't recal when the change was made.
    The topic of suspensions has been discussed many times here, try the search function to see the threads with more information.

Those thin aluminium suspensions are always a replacement when it comes to the older medals. Voenkomat medals do come with these thin aliminium suspensions. Also I wanna say, even if the suspension is a replacement, that is no problem to most collectors. Thing is, the pins on these suspensions are fragile and veterans still were these medals on anniversary occasions so pins can break. They buy new suspensions to replace the broken pin and these are always the thin aluminium suspensions. What also happens a lot is that on those anniversary occasions veterans wanna look at their best and many replace the ribbons of their medals annually for new, fresh and shiny medals, and some replace the full suspension with ribbon since that is easier than folding the ribbons.

Here's furthermore a nice link to suspensions:
    Классификация пятиугольных колодок