Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet Orders and Awards - Accounting for Enemy Killed in Action

Article about: Hello All, I believe this is my first post on the forum asking a question. Here goes... Have collected Soviet Orders & Medals since fall of Soviet Russia. Have numerous groups and indivi

Default Soviet Orders and Awards - Accounting for Enemy Killed in Action

Hello All,

I believe this is my first post on the forum asking a question. Here goes...

Have collected Soviet Orders & Medals since fall of Soviet Russia. Have numerous groups and individual awards where the recipient was awarded order or medal for courage and destruction of enemy soldiers. One example belongs to a Frontovik Sergeant whom belonged to a Scout unit. Part of his citation for the Red Star reads as follows; " Sergeant Malenkov jumped in the enemy trench and by storm fire of his machine gun killed 22 Hitlerites."

How accurate were the Soviets in their accounting of enemy killed in action? Can one rely on the number listed in the citation to be accurate. Or were they slightly embellished? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Gerry C

From the Flatlands of the Midwest U.S.A.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Orders and Awards - Accounting for Enemy Killed in Action
    P
    Many

Hi Gerry.
    IMHO I have the feeling that the German casualty counts by the Soviets tended, in general, to a certain exaggeration; which does not mean that in this specific case it cannot be exact.

Regards

Santi

Regarding kills by fighter pilots or snipers, they usually tend to be quite accurate since these had to be confirmed by at least one other person. Kills by storming trenches, or firing over open artillery sights etc can be less accurate. I even think these are impossible to count in the midst of all chaos and it is imo not weird when these are exxagerated a bit. I can even imagine that more soldiers were credited for the same kills. After all, in these chaotic conditions, who knows who shot whom? On the other I don't think these numbers are way too far from reality either, just not accurate.

Tabstabs1964 & Marcel,

Gentleman, thank you for your answers and opinion. You basically supported what I suspected.

Regards,

Gerry C

From the Flatlands of the Midwest U.S.A.

?

I agree with Santi and Marcel, for what it's worth.