Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Soviet Orders and Medals book

Article about: Just ordered this book on a whim from Ukraine. Looks good and is translated into English language which is a bonus! Anyone familiar with it? I will post a review when it arrives Nick

Default Soviet Orders and Medals book

Just ordered this book on a whim from Ukraine.

Looks good and is translated into English language which is a bonus!

Anyone familiar with it?

I will post a review when it arrives

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Orders and Medals book   Soviet Orders and Medals book  

Soviet Orders and Medals book   Soviet Orders and Medals book  

Soviet Orders and Medals book   Soviet Orders and Medals book  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Orders and Medals book
    P
    Many

Nick, can you send me a pm where to get this one and its price? I am also interested. I think I've seen more books from this author but I am not sure now. Need to check when at home.

Link sent to your PM Marcel

Regards
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I talked to Matt and it turned out that the author of this book used many pics from Matt's website without asking permission. Even the weights and dimensions are taken from Matt's website and the rest is taken from Mondvor. Matt also told me this book contains a fake HSU.

I hope to get my copy somewhere this weekend. Looking forward to get it. It does give me a tiny bit of a bad taste that the author based this book on other people's work, both text and photographs. Not really the way it should be.

?

That gives me more than a tiny bit of a bad taste Marcel, this is downright disconcerting. Although I encourage all publications concerning this great hobby we all share, this isn't the way one writes a book. Is it really so hard to contact the rightful owners and give credit where credit is due?

I agree Auke. Even though Matt is mentioned as source for pics yet without asking for permission that is unacceptable imo. There goes a lot of time, hard work and money to make such quality pics. One would expect the author to at least have the decency to ask permission first.
    The same goes for the info provided on Mondvor. That's a labour of love and to copy this to use in a book is not the way to go. I don't know the author but and his background but releasing a book, based on other people's work is wrong.

Think I will get the book today so I am looking forward to see and will give an update/review on this book.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get this book for? I still don't think it's right that he would just steal those photos without asking for permission first, that's just so wrong...

I paid € 99 for it at Militariafachbuch.

My copy arrived yesterday, I didn't have time to look in depth but initial impressions are mixed.

It is probably aimed at the 'novice' collector ( which suits me ) as there is much basic information, and the photo identification of variants is very useful.

There is some interesting historical narrative and photos

One thing that stands out is that he has indicated a value on each item which will out date the book very quickly.

Anyway it should be good bedtime reading.

Regards

Nick

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    I talked to Matt and it turned out that the author of this book used many pics from Matt's website without asking permission. Even the weights and dimensions are taken from Matt's website and the rest is taken from Mondvor. Matt also told me this book contains a fake HSU.

I hope to get my copy somewhere this weekend. Looking forward to get it. It does give me a tiny bit of a bad taste that the author based this book on other people's work, both text and photographs. Not really the way it should be.
    I agree whilst I don't know the extent of plaigerism involved without doing a lot of comparison which I am not inclined to do given what I regard as reliable information stated above.

It also speaks to something of his own attitude if he happily uses another authors work as his own, he must be very confident in it being accurate?

As for there being fakes offered up as genuine within the book. Well, most authors have been affected by the problem but this taken together with the other points tends to put another hole in his credibility.

He gladly emblazons his own name at the top of every page reinforcing the subliminal suggestion that the material is his own. Andrew Reznik is a fairly high profile name so I wonder if he has stolen that too?

The format and presentation look good and his book on SS insignia gets good reviews on the "Red Forum" but I'm afraid that along with the points above is sufficient to knock it off my shopping list. Just too doubtful for me

Pity, because it would look nice on the coffe table when the Grandchildren visit

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast