Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet WW2 Medals / Help please

Article about: Hello, I bought a couple M-35 pilotka cap stars a while, and got bit by the bug, and now I am going to buy a few salty condition/relic Soviet medal/awards for my WWII collection. Not going t

Default Soviet WW2 Medals / Help please

Hello, I bought a couple M-35 pilotka cap stars a while, and got bit by the bug, and now I am going to buy a few salty condition/relic Soviet medal/awards for my WWII collection. Not going to very many, just a few that I like.

Here is a pic of a Bravery medal I just bought with a 6 digit number. Can anyone tell me what year this was given approx. and if everything looks original? I paid $50US for it.
    The next medal is something I do not know, I think a sports?? badge/medal.

Thanks for any help and info in adavance!!

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet WW2 Medals / Help please  
    Attached Images Attached Images Soviet WW2 Medals / Help please  Soviet WW2 Medals / Help please  Soviet WW2 Medals / Help please  Soviet WW2 Medals / Help please 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet WW2 Medals / Help please
    P
    Many

Default Re: Soviet WW2 Medals / Help please

Hi, Steve

The first pictures are from a Pre-War Excellent Sportsman badge in very bad condition.

As for the Bravery medal it looks original and could be mid war (1942-44) maybe.

Quote by RedArmyCollector View Post
    Hi, Steve

The first pictures are from a Pre-War Excellent Sportsman badge in very bad condition.

As for the Bravery medal it looks original and could be mid war (1942-44) maybe.
    Hello Justin, thanks for the info. I like them salty, or dug. Would Soviet soldiers worn medals into battle?

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve, medals were worn at all times, even in battle.

The story goes, how true it is I don't know, that is Zsarist times, it was noted that decorated soldiers got hit less by their NCO's, so the tradition of wearing medals at all times started.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Steve, medals were worn at all times, even in battle.

The story goes, how true it is I don't know, that is Zsarist times, it was noted that decorated soldiers got hit less by their NCO's, so the tradition of wearing medals at all times started.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade Thanks. That is interesting story, and makes sense with stories I have heard you mention of officers not being so nice to their soldier ranks.
    A lot of medals must have been lost. That is why I like the dug ones. They were probably lost in a skirmish of some type, or their Commissar slapped them so hard it flew off. Did you see the other medals I posted? What do think if so?

Regards, Steve