Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Air Crew Europe Star

Article about: Hello, I'm certain that what I have is a fake, however this is not my area of expertise so I wanted to be 100% sure. I did not acquire it from a reputable dealer, so I suppose that was mista

Default Air Crew Europe Star

Hello,

I'm certain that what I have is a fake, however this is not my area of expertise so I wanted to be 100% sure. I did not acquire it from a reputable dealer, so I suppose that was mistake #1.

What first made me suspicious was the top of the V where it meets the I (it looks different from other genuine articles I have seen).

I would appreciate an informed opinion!

P.S. I hope the images are clear enough

Air Crew Europe StarAir Crew Europe Star

I would say one of the bad ones. The "W" in "crew" is one of the giveaways in this batch of fakes. It's slightly off positioned. Compare to this photo of a good'un;

Air Crew Europe Star

Thank you for confirming my suspicions Anderson, the W does indeed look oddly placed. Now I can be sure I'm not consigning a genuine star to the junk box!

?

We all have a junk box of fakes mistakes mate.
    Otherwise we wouldn't be human
    Cheers Rick

Definate fake!

Here's mine for comparison , Regards, Paul

Air Crew Europe Star

I can really see the difference now. Looking at my copy up close, it seems the enamel spotting/pebbles in the circle is far more defined on your real example than on mine.

Thanks for sharing

Quote by Reardon View Post
    I can really see the difference now. Looking at my copy up close, it seems the enamel spotting/pebbles in the circle is far more defined on your real example than on mine.

Thanks for sharing
    Also, a point to note is that if you exclude the latest Arctic Star (collectors price I suppose) the Air Crew Europe should be priced around double the total of the other seven (there are nine stars altogether) so if it isn't you should at least wonder why not?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Yes, watchdog! This is the reason I (and perhaps people before me) got duped - the lure of a good deal has clouded many a judgment I'm sure. I really need to stick to the reputable dealers. But as others have pointed out often in this forum, if you're putting down real money anywhere be it pays (quite literally) to be sure of what you're buying (i.e. research).