Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Atlantic Star with Air Crew Europe clasp

Article about: Picked this up at a show this weekend for a good deal, and wanted to share it here. The medal has some odd things going on with it, but I took a flyer on it because of the price. Do you thin

No never heard of the rounded edge theory, As said your Atlantic star looks fine to me. Regards Paul

mjw
    In my opinion the clasp is a reproduction. From one of the photos it appears to be far too thick. Lay it against a common example ie France And Germany etc. They should be identical.
    Unfortunately this is the first clasp I've added to the collection, so I don't have another to compare it to just yet...it's right around 1mm thick, though, maybe just a bit over, which according to the article Adrian linked would be in the correct range. It's a little bit tapered/worn down on the left side corners, though, which I imagine could happen over time?

Out of interest i had my stars out of their display frame today & measured the aircrew bar (and others) with a Vernier , The Ace bar bar measured 31.89 x 5.55 x 1mm all the other bars are around that range but none of them are exactly the same.
    Also while they were out i took pictures front & rear just for completeness. Regards paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Atlantic Star with Air Crew Europe clasp   Atlantic Star with Air Crew Europe clasp  

Atlantic Star with Air Crew Europe clasp   Atlantic Star with Air Crew Europe clasp  

Ah, the display I aspire to one day assemble. So great to see these all together! I'm out for the weekend but will remeasure the other dimensions of the bar when I get home. Seems like it's in the right range though. Very good to have this info, and to have another example to compare it to.

Just measured the other dimensions of the clasp, and while I don't have the same precision instrument, it came out to right around 32x6.5mm. So the measurements seem to be in the correct range...slightly taller than yours, perhaps, but I imagine there could be discrepancies of under a millimeter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2