Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Australian Medal Engravings

Article about: pagannz try googling australian ww2 nominal role, and you can do a search via name and/or serial number. regards

Default Australian Medal Engravings

For future reference,if needed.

Australian WW2 Medals had the Service Number, Initials and Surname engraved onto them.
    The different States had a letter before an X in front of the Number,for example;
    QX1234 for Queensland,
    NX1234 for New South Wales
    VX1234 for Victoria
    SX1234 for South Australia
    WX1234 for Western Australia
    TX1234 for Tasmania

There were two armies Militia and AIF. Both AIF and Militia Army numbers had the prefix indicating the state of enlistment.
    The X was for the Australian Imperial Forces,if there is no X then it belonged to a Militia member.
    Here is an example of the engravings on 2 of my Grandfathers Medals,
    Cheers Mick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian Medal Engravings   Australian Medal Engravings  

Default Re: Australian Medal Engravings

Great info for all of us on the other side of the planet.

Good one Mick.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

4md
    ?

that may only be for the army mick, my grandfathers medals only have numbers.
    no letter prefix,he was in the raaf

im not sure about the navy

regards Paul

The 'X' in the 2nd AIF numbers is short for 'external service' as only AIF troops were required to serve outside Australia-the Militia was purely defensive, at least until the Japanese swept down the SE Asia archipelago and Militia service was extended to the islands immediately to the north of the mainland of Oz.

Quote by 4md View Post
    that may only be for the army mick, my grandfathers medals only have numbers.
    no letter prefix,he was in the raaf

im not sure about the navy

regards Paul
    Yes you could be right Paul.
    Im pretty sure this info only applied to the Army Medals.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    The 'X' in the 2nd AIF numbers is short for 'external service' as only AIF troops were required to serve outside Australia-the Militia was purely defensive, at least until the Japanese swept down the SE Asia archipelago and Militia service was extended to the islands immediately to the north of the mainland of Oz.
    I have heard that if a Militia Member,volunteered for the AIF then his service number reflected this by then including the X.

I have 2 medals in my collection that were issued to a member of the RAAF and can tell you definitely that they do not have any letters in front of their service number. I checked it via the WW2 nominal roll.

cheers for the info

Quote by aussie mick View Post
    I have heard that if a Militia Member,volunteered for the AIF then his service number reflected this by then including the X.
    The number was also changed I believe.My grandfather was T7524 in Militia service and TX14451 when he transfered over to the AIF.
    Cheers
    Dave

Great Info Guys

I have an Aussie Service Medal Named to A Jones 504335 and cannot find any info, I was beginning to think it was a fake, so if anyone can help that would be good

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast