Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Boer war/WW1 medal group

Article about: Here's an interesting group of miniatures I picked up last August. The QSA medal has five clasps consisting of... CAPE COLONY... ORANGE FREE STATE... REELIEF OF LADYSMITH...TRANSVAAL... and

Default Boer war/WW1 medal group

Here's an interesting group of miniatures I picked up last August. The QSA medal has five clasps consisting of... CAPE COLONY... ORANGE FREE STATE... REELIEF OF LADYSMITH...TRANSVAAL... and the last one is for LAINGS NEK. The KSA medal has the two SOUTH AFRICA bars for 1901 & 1902. next in line is the 1914 Star with August to November 1914 clasp, the BWM and Victory medal. The last three are the King Edward VII Coronation medal, King George V Jubilee medal, and the last one is the King George VI Coronation medal. All medals are in fine condition and were retailed by Spink & Son Ltd of London.

Click on images to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve

Boer war/WW1 medal groupBoer war/WW1 medal groupBoer war/WW1 medal groupBoer war/WW1 medal groupBoer war/WW1 medal group

Hi Steve.
    Really, really nice group. And from a historical point of view, very interesting.
    Regards
    Santi

Quote by TABSTABS1964 View Post
    Hi Steve.
    Really, really nice group. And from a historical point of view, very interesting.
    Regards
    Santi
    Hi Santi,

Unfortunately, as seems to be the case with most miniature groups, there is no name to attach to the awards. I also wondered why the person missed out o the George V Coronation medal but received the jubilee medal. These last three medals were not dished out to all and sundry, so this person must have been of some military or social standing

Cheers,
    Steve

?

Steve, I understood the last three (and similar), to have been awarded only to those directly involved in the appropriate ceremonies. Is that correct?
    Rob

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Steve, I understood the last three (and similar), to have been awarded only to those directly involved in the appropriate ceremonies. Is that correct?
    Rob
    I'm not sure Rob, but it was the case with some awards. I would have to read up to be absolutely certain.

Cheers,
    Steve

Hi Rob,

According to Wicki, the silver version of the King Edward VII coronation medal - which this is - was awarded to: Members of the Royal family, dignitaries, senior government officials and service officers who were present at the coronation ceremony, performed extra work in its preparation, or who were involved in the coronation parade. The bronze version was issued to selected NCO's and other ranks at the coronation parade. I would imagine that the same rules applied to the remaining two medals.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

Marvellous. Thanks for that, Steve.
    I have a Navy ratings blue jumper with the George VI coronation ribbon, and I thought it was something like that..

Such a pity you have all that history packed into those medals, but no name.. it’s usually the other way round! You could probably narrow it down, if you spent the rest of time cross checking against those last three.. heartbreaking stuff.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Marvellous. Thanks for that, Steve.
    I have a Navy ratings blue jumper with the George VI coronation ribbon, and I thought it was something like that..

Such a pity you have all that history packed into those medals, but no name.. it’s usually the other way round! You could probably narrow it down, if you spent the rest of time cross checking against those last three.. heartbreaking stuff.
    Its probably down to the greed of dealers (and relatives) Rob. More often than not, the miniature groups are separated from the full size and sold off to increase the profit margin. I have six sets of miniatures, the best being an OBE/DCM group. Click on the link below.

Cheers,
    Steve

WW1 DCM gallantry group

?

now that is a grouping that you don't see every day!?