Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can someone decipher ribbon bar in photo?

Article about: Can anyone decipher the ribbon bar in this photo? It was taken in Athens 1945, the cap badge is ‘possibly’ from an RAF Regiment deployed with Force 140 sent to Greece in 1944 though the bere

Default Can someone decipher ribbon bar in photo?

Can anyone decipher the ribbon bar in this photo? It was taken in Athens 1945, the cap badge is ‘possibly’ from an RAF Regiment deployed with Force 140 sent to Greece in 1944 though the beret is not RAF. It is thought the individual may have been posted temporarily to a British Army unit during the campaign and retained his RAF cap badge. Hoping the ribbon bar might shed some light on which service branch he was in.

Appreciation in advance.

Chris….

Can someone decipher ribbon bar in photo?Can someone decipher ribbon bar in photo?

looks to me like:
    39-45 star
    africa star
    italy star
    defence medal

and i dont think thats an raf cap badge....

Well done bananamafia, I can't decipher the ribbon bar at all, but I would definitely sat its not an RAF cap badge.
    "Per Ardua"

Thank you much for identifying the ribbon bar! Is there an example of what it might look like in colour?

bananamafia would this image be the correct sequence and colors of the ribbon bar decorations you listed?

Chris.....

?

Quote by bananamafia View Post
    looks to me like:
    39-45 star
    africa star
    italy star
    defence medal
    I don't think this can be correct, because the campaign medals mentioned would always be awarded with the War Medal 1939–1945, which would be worn after the other WW2 campaign medals on the bar.

I can see why one might think it was the Defence Medal in the photo but can see how it could be. Furthermore, the last ribbon doesn't look like it could be the War Medal 1939–1945 either. Perhaps the General Service Medal?

Perhaps there is also a question mark over the dating of the photograph? The '1945' on the back would seem to be have added afterwards and looks like biro, which suggests that it was added at a later date than the 'Athens' annotation in foundation pen. Is there any more information about the provenance of the photo?

Thanks DrPMC your insight is appreciated!

For context I’ve posted two images of the configurations you mentioned, one with the War Medal 1939–1945 at the end, and the other with the General Service Medal. Are they in the correct order?

Given the ribbon bar in the photo appears to be enamel I am wondering if the War Medal 1939–1945 is in fact present with the thin red line obscured by the reflected glare of the white bands on either side?

As for provenance, no record can be found by the UK MOD of the gentleman in the photo “Pawel Makarow (1916-1953)" who was Polish. He is obviously not wearing a Polish style beret or wearing a Polish Eagle. His family inquired at APC Polish Historical Disclosures in Northholt by they had no record of him either.

The family has pursued many avenues including the Sikorsky Museum in London, CAW in Warsaw and military researchers with no results. They currently have inquiries in with the Polish Red Cross and ITS (International Tracing Service). It was suggested by one researcher that some individuals in the British Army were given an alias as many Poles who made there way to the UK or Middle East changed their names to protect their families back home. Its the likely reason why he cannot be traced.

As for my original post about the ribbons I am just trying to identify his decorations and possibly his unit from the obscure cap badge.

Chris…..

I’m most thankful for and respect the opinions posted but after comparing the ribbon bar in my original picture to the four examples posted below (including mine on the end) I’m thinking there are three decorations instead of four based on the jacket pocket size of in each photo.

Could the ribbon bar possibly be 1939-1945 Star, Italy Star, War Medal 1939-1945?

Would really appreciate the opinion of a keen eye.

Chris…..

?

Hi Chris,

I made a mistake in my last post - although the campaign stars would never appear in a group without the 1939-45 War Medal after 1945, they would have before the end of the war. The War Medal was instituted after the end of hostilities (as was the Defence Medal) but the 1939-45 Star and the Africa Star were instituted during the war. I understand that the Italy Star was instituted at the end of the war too, so is probably not in the group in your photo.

One other possibility I wondered about was whether the last ribbon could have a Polish medal or decoration? I know there are some forum members who are very knowledgable on the Polish service in WW2, perhaps one of them could give an opinion? Would Free Polish forces have followed the British practice of wearing british ribbons followed by 'foreign' ribbons, or reversed the order, to wear their Polish medals and decorations first?

Philip

Hello Philip

Yes it appears the Polish followed the British practice but might have had a different order of presentation as exampled in this photo of a Polish 2 Corps soldier.

Chris.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast