Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Crash Course on WWII British/ Commonwealth Medals?

Article about: by lithgow Giz-Those are simply not the colours for the 1939-45 Star, indeed they don't match any Star, even if the colours were faded-will you provide pics please? Here's a link to the clas

Default Crash Course on WWII British/ Commonwealth Medals?

Hello all!

I have been doing some organizing lately, and I realized my collection is very light when it comes to Brit/ Commonwealth WWII items. All I have are two helmets... one made in Canada, and one made in South Africa. As such, I'd like to add a representative set of British campaign medals to share with my students... I understand that these are called Star medals. Better yet, I understand that these Stars are rather affordable!

Can someone tell me how many types of star medals there are? Which are the easiest to get and which are rare and more pricey?

Are there any other British/ Commonwealth items I should consider adding to my collection?

Thank you so much in advance for your time and consideration!

?

Default Re: Crash Course on WWII British/ Commonwealth Medals?

British & Commonwealth WWII Stars:

1939-45 Star
    Africa Star
    Italy Star
    France & Germany Star
    Pacific Star
    Burma Star
    Atlantic Star
    Air Crew Europe Star

There are also more common WWII medals that are not stars; Defence Medal, War Medal, India Service Medal, and Commonwealth Service Medals for Canada, South Africa, and, I believe Australia and New Zealand.
    The Air Crew Europe Star is by far the most expensive star, and a 1939-45 Star with the Battle of Britain clasp is much more expensive than an ACE.
    Generally most WWII singles or groups are not that expensive because the vast majority are unamed, a total reversal of British practice prior to WWII. Since then , all campaign medals have continued to be named, as in WWI, and earlier.
    Visit some of the medal dealer websites to get an idea as to prices, along with Ebay UK.
    Try J.Collins Medals, Dixons Medals, Neate Medals, Emedals, Liverpool Medals, Q & C Militaria, Aberdeen Medals, Bill Friar Medals, The Medal Centre, and others.

BobS

Hi Joe, click on the images on the top line of the page from this link. Lots of good info here:

The Official 1945 Statement regarding the British WW2 Campaign Stars and Defence Medal

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks, Ade!

?

Hi ,

There are a lot too collect ! The air crew europ being the most expensive star , i like ww1 British medals as you can learn a lot about the recipient . For example i just won a ww1 trio and a territorial efficiency medal group on eBay .Already I've found out he is 1 of at least 15 siblings he worked as a bank Clark and his father was a bank manger ect ect

I think British medal affordability is down too who there named too , but i would recomend ww1 as there easier to research ...

Kind regards
    Alex

P.s good luck !

All Australian medals are named and numbered to the soldier and are relatively easy to research as unlike Britain basic info is free from the Dept of Veterans Affairs website as well as the Australian War Memorial website.

You should be able to find groups like the set below, as these are representative of almost
    every Canadian soldier who served. British groups are similar. Unless there is a Long
    Service Medal or a Valor Medal in the group, you will not be able to research them,
    as all the WWII campaign stars and service medals were issued un-named,
    except for Austrailian, New Zealand and South African issues.

There will be smaller groups found where the soldier did not go overseas, and in that case,
    there will be no bar to the 'Canadian Voluntary Service Medal'.

One other point to mention, is that the three Canadian Service medals ( Defense Medal,
    CVSM and War Medal ) are made of silver, and will therefore be more expensive
    than their 'cupro-nickel' British counterparts.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Crash Course on WWII British/ Commonwealth Medals?  
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bring back an old thread... I just have a quick question. I recently purchased a '39-'45 star from a member of the forum and I've noticed that the ribbon is white, yellow and navy blue... I've noticed other '39-'45s with different colored ribbons. What's the deal...?

?

The ribbon should be dark blue ( for the Royal Navy), medium/light blue ( for the RAF), and red ( for the Army). Check on Ebay, or any medals dealer website.

BobS

Giz-Those are simply not the colours for the 1939-45 Star, indeed they don't match any Star, even if the colours were faded-will you provide pics please?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast