Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Distinguished Flying Cross medal WW2

Article about: Hi all. I have just received a DFC. I think it is from WW2 as the seller said, but I know sometimes case and medal are paired and they are from different era. I think the lapel pin and the r

?

Default Distinguished Flying Cross medal WW2

Hi all.

I have just received a DFC. I think it is from WW2 as the seller said, but I know sometimes case and medal are paired and they are from different era.
    I think the lapel pin and the ribbon bar are correct for WW2. I hope it is a complete set WW2, but I am not an expert, so any comment would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Here it is:

I am just a little on the fence about the brooch on the medal itself.. It looks too shiny and I am a little skeptical about the excess frayed ribbon material that is behind the ribbon itself. Indicative of a possible brooch replacement. It looks as if the brooch itself was replaced or added later based on the sloppiness of the excess fraying ribbon strands. The brooch looks to be a Rex Products manufactured style with lock catch which would date this from 1945-1949 period.

The ribbon bar and lapel pin look fine, WW2 era..

I may be wrong on the brooch and ribbon assessment but I just don't have a good feeling about the looks of it..

The presentation case is WW2 era, but these award cases were used post WW2 into Korea and as late as Vietnam due to excess stocks and they were used until exhausted..

Smitty

Bronch seems ok, same model ww2, I believe the glow is from the light received by being in a different angle from the medal and bar.
    The medal looks OK to me too. The medal looks OK to me . You did the UV light and burning test?