Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Greek 3rd Mountain Brigade Award

Article about: Hello All, not really being a collector of Allied memorabilia this badge came with a bundle of German items from an old veterans family. It is the award that was given to all ranks of the 3r

Default Greek 3rd Mountain Brigade Award

Hello All,
    not really being a collector of Allied memorabilia this badge came with a bundle of German items from an old veterans family.

It is the award that was given to all ranks of the 3rd Greek mountain Brigade for the battle of Rimini.

There is quite a lot written about this Brigade on the net and their chequered history.

Unfortunately I had to polish the 60 years of patina off the obverse side due to verdigris contamination but it will tone down eventually.

Comments or opinions welcomed.

Last edited by Saladin; 04-16-2016 at 10:45 PM.

MAP
    ?

Nice. I would have left it untouched but not seeing it before the cleaning I will defer to you.

Can you tell us a little about this unit and why it has a checkered past?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hello Map,
    the unit history is readily available online but in brief:
    The Hellenic army that escaped the occupation came under British control and was formed up in 3 Brigades.
    The Greek force was politically unstable being full of Royalists and left wingers my Regiment was recalled as a matter of urgency from Syria to Alexandria to quell a mutiny amongst the Greeks in May 1944.
    The 3rd Mountain Brigade was formed up from individuals who were deemed to be loyalists and were sent to Italy.

The Brigade was sent to the Canadian Corps and the 3rd Brigade was involved in the assault on Rimini suffering a few casualties.
    The Brigade received the honour title of the Rimini Brigade.

The Rimini Badge above was instituted by an Order of the Day of the Brigade Commander Colonel Thrasyvoulos Tsakalotosand with the full approval of the Greek General Staff.
    The decoration was worn by All ranks of the 3rd Greek Mountain Brigade for the remainder of their active service.
    The 'decoration' was worn on the right side of the chest.

Then also in late '44 they were sent to quell the unrest back in Greece and assisted the British forces in the operations against EAM the Greek peoples liberation army.

MAP
    ?

Thanks!

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Here is how the badge started off some weeks ago:

The verdigris had started attacking the fabric of the badge so needed some serious remedial action.

A gentle wash to remove the majority of the corrosion:

This left the badge with a horrible look so a quick polish and hey presto, a badge waiting to tone down.

It won't take long to tone and I feel that this has saved a quite rare badge from certain destruction!

MAP
    ?

Great job!!!

Great job.Great Item/.As Greek i loved it

Thank you both for your positive remarks.
    This one has turned out well.

It is nice to know that the members of the Brigade were fighting against the 1. Fallschirmjäger Regiment and some Eastern European troops and won!

Here is one of the few rare shots of the badge in wear that I have seen:

All the best
    Doug
    Last edited by Saladin; 04-19-2016 at 02:41 PM.

Very nice and rare award you have there. It was given usually accompanied with the special daily order of Bernard Freyberg Commander of the second neo-Zeeland Division, as you can see on mine. Also compare your award with mine, i think it's the same type (if i am correct there are 3 types made). Please upload a photo of the back side.
    Regards, Aghs.
    Translation of the daily order:
    Special daily order of Lieutenant sir Bernard Freyberg V.C. Commander of the second neo-Zeeland Division.
    We salute the 3rd Greek Mountain Brigade with great sadness. In Italy, with bravely and successfully fighting gained fame for which you rightfully can be pride .When the 3rd Greek Mountain Brigade was under our management we felt like a honor and I am sure that mutual admiration and friendship feelings were born between second neo-Zeeland Division and the Greek Army in the battlefields of Greece, Crete and Alamein, amplified much more by the common struggle in the Italian field battle. By your achievements in Rimini and Rouvikonas, you have add a page in the glorious history of your Army and you have been worthy of the great traditions Greek nation which has always believes that "Freedom means happiness".Now you can leave Italy and go to your country. You obtain all our heartfelt wishes , not only for the Greek army, but for the Greek people too for whom we have deep and eternal appreciation. Good luck and God bless you from all the officers and men of the second neo-Zeeland Division KIA ORA KATOA.(KIA ORA KATOA, meaning Greetings, Hello to you in the Maori language).
    Rimini, Italia Oct. 20 1944
    signature: Bernard Freyberg, lieutenant general, commander of the second neo-Zeeland espeditionary corps.
    3rd Greek Mountain Brigade -military police
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Greek 3rd Mountain Brigade Award   Greek 3rd Mountain Brigade Award  

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast