Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for info on number of American WWII "Wings".

Article about: by Walkwolf The site Ade posted a link to is the best site for all WWII wing badges that I've seen. It shows almost all the variations of wings produced and their makers. There aren't that m

Default Looking for info on number of American WWII "Wings".

Reason im asking on this is because ive decided to start collecting them since my Dad--had been a Ball Turret Gunner in WWII on B-17s with the 8th Airforce.

Also, I just picked up a set of WWII Bomber Wings this past weekend. I was wondering if someone could please tell me how many different "Wings" there were during WWII? I am an Ami-but don't know squat about our stuff as I collect only German.

Default Re: Looking for info on number of American WWII "Wings".

Hi Carl, this site is the best I know of: this link shows just the pilots wings:

United States Army Air Force - Pilot

To see all the others, go to the USAAF link on the left side of the page then click on the menu to see all the other wings used.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Carl, this site is the best I know of: this link shows just the pilots wings:

United States Army Air Force - Pilot

To see all the others, go to the USAAF link on the left side of the page then click on the menu to see all the other wings used.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thank you Ade and I greatly appreciate this. I found a good source for Wings recently and will be buying more as he places them for sale. ;-))

Ill be looking through that site quite often--tons to learn and I just learned that my Wings are not Bombardier wings but that of Aerial Gunner. As my Dad was a Ball Turret Gunner in WWII--im guessing those would be the type he wore.

Much appreciated Ade ;-))

Just remember there are tons of fakes out there.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

I have found a set of English made private purchase US wings. They are much more detailed than the US made ones. Keep your eyes open for these, when you see a set compared to a US set the difference is striking. Just something to look for.

Thanks
    Burt

Below are some pics of a very rare US pilot wing. ( 'F&S' hallmark for
    'Firmin & Son', with date code letter for 1943 ) Normally, British
    made wings are not sterling silver.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Looking for info on number of American WWII "Wings".   Looking for info on number of American WWII "Wings".  

Looking for info on number of American WWII "Wings".   Looking for info on number of American WWII "Wings".  

Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Just remember there are tons of fakes out there.........!
    That's what im afraid of-and already did find a fake pair even though these are pure or near pure Silver. I told the dealer selling them that they didnt look right but that I had not enough knowledge to point out anything and--the next week when I went back to see him-and to his credit-he had spent the week researching them and said they indeed were faked but were the real (silver) deal. Now he has these priced at a (what I figure) a reasonable price just for the value of the silver used to make them. I THINK he priced these at about $35.00 and I might buy them just because they look nice and also being Silver ;-))

Quote by milmuseum View Post
    I have found a set of English made private purchase US wings. They are much more detailed than the US made ones. Keep your eyes open for these, when you see a set compared to a US set the difference is striking. Just something to look for.

Thanks
    Burt
    Thank you for this too Bert and I look forward to learning more form you guys on this. Ive been only collecting Imperial and WWII German and never collected anything else-though I did want to branch off into Russian, SOME American and Finnish and Polish. I never started collecting Russian because prices are through the roof, and dont collect Finn and Polish for lack of resources. But again, thank you much for this too ;-))

- - Updated - -

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Below are some pics of a very rare US pilot wing. ( 'F&S' hallmark for
    'Firmin & Son', with date code letter for 1943 ) Normally, British
    made wings are not sterling silver.........
    Thank you for this as well Steve, it will give me more idea on what to look for.

The site Ade posted a link to is the best site for all WWII wing
    badges that I've seen. It shows almost all the variations of
    wings produced and their makers. There aren't that
    many books available on the subject.........

US Aviation Wings 3"
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast