Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Named Coldstream Guards WWII Medal Group

Article about: I was recently able to acquire a relatively scarce named Coldstream Guards medal group to 2661318 Gdsmn C. ( Clive) Cutts, Coldstream Guards. I believe the privately done naming was often do

?

Default Named Coldstream Guards WWII Medal Group

I was recently able to acquire a relatively scarce named Coldstream Guards medal group to 2661318 Gdsmn C. ( Clive) Cutts, Coldstream Guards. I believe the privately done naming was often done by Boots , the chemist chain in the UK.
    With the Africa Star, clasp Eighth Army, and the Italy Star, Cutts likely served in either the 2nd or 3rd battalions.
    As many know, the vast majority of British campaign medals of WII were issued, and remained, unamed.

BobSNamed Coldstream Guards WWII Medal GroupNamed Coldstream Guards WWII Medal Group

Apologies for the poor photography.

Default Re: Named Coldstream Guards WWII Medal Group

Hi Bob, nice looking group.

You are correct about the naming issue. Very unpopular with the troops. But considered a prudent cost saving move by the Govt. I can just imagine a Guardsman wanting his medals to be named.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Bob,

Good group and nice that he had them named. As you say, most of these were done by Boots.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I have my dads medals perhaps I will takethem to boots.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    I have my dads medals perhaps I will takethem to boots.
    Not sure if they still do it there these days. I have my dads medals and one is named, the TA efficiency (long service) medal.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Named Coldstream Guards WWII Medal Group   Named Coldstream Guards WWII Medal Group  

Named Coldstream Guards WWII Medal Group  
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Jerry,
    A very nice group to your father, including a Mention in Dispatches. He served in the Royal Signals, it appears. Just my opinion, but the group would look great court mounted.

BobS

Quote by BobS View Post
    Jerry,
    A very nice group to your father, including a Mention in Dispatches. He served in the Royal Signals, it appears. Just my opinion, but the group would look great court mounted.

BobS
    Hi Bob,

I have been meaning to get them framed along with his cap badge and two photographs I have of him in the desert. Yes, he was with the R. Signals.
    Regards,

Jerry

4md
    ?

Nice group Bob