Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

purple heart family group

Article about: This arrived today from America, my mother in law sent it to me, it was her uncle who was KIA on PELELIU in WWII. It is still in the original ration carton in which his effects were sent to

Default purple heart family group

This arrived today from America, my mother in law sent it to me, it was her uncle who was KIA on PELELIU in WWII.

It is still in the original ration carton in which his effects were sent to the family, along with the accompanying letter in its envelope, as well as his PURPLE HEART, his Combat Infantryman's Badge, two id cards, an address book used as a diary, a photograph of him, one of the camp at Minneapolis, another of one of his sgt's and one of an unnamed woman.

There are details of when he shipped out and his arrival on Hawaii, Guadalcanal before he was killed on Peleliu.

We am truly honoured to have been sent these to care for them,

RIP Pete (Opie) Nash ASN 34207243
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture purple heart family group   purple heart family group  

purple heart family group   purple heart family group  

purple heart family group   purple heart family group  

purple heart family group  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Nice (and sad) piece...beautifully presented.

This entry in his notebook is dated 12th September, the first day of the landings on Peleliu, this is his last entry as he was KIA there.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture purple heart family group  
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks for showing Jerry.

Very nice set Jerry, you are now its next guardian.

A very nice group in any case but all the more special because it is to a named individual but even more a family member.The former aspect being something most collectors aspire to whilst the latter has the same desirabilty but is particularly rare!

I know you will treasure it.

Thanks for showing.

Regards

Mark.
    PS Is the Purple Heart named by any chance?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    A very nice group in any case but all the more special because it is to a named individual but even more a family member.The former aspect being something most collectors aspire to whilst the latter has the same desirabilty but is particularly rare!

I know you will treasure it.

Thanks for showing.

Regards

Mark.
    PS Is the Purple Heart named by any chance?
    it is named Mark just somehow missed showing it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture purple heart family group  
    Regards,

Jerry

Jerry,
    What an honor to be the caretaker of these personal items from a family members relative. Your mother in-law must think highly of you. If you’ve never read the book ‘ with the old breed’ by Eugene sledge, it’s a must read.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Jerry,
    What an honor to be the caretaker of these personal items from a family members relative. Your mother in-law must think highly of you. If you’ve never read the book ‘ with the old breed’ by Eugene sledge, it’s a must read.

Marty
    Wasn't Eugene Sledge one of the main protagonists in the "The Pacific"? I think I will give it a read myself.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Jerry,

This is a remarkable piece of family heritage.. It is often overlooked the significant contributions that the Army played in the Pacific Theater.. We usually hear more of Marines killed on these islands so this has added value both as an heirloom and the Army connection in the Pacific.

The ration shipping box is also a incredible bonus to show that the men in Opie's unit thought enough of him to ensure his belongings were shipped home whatever the means and the ingenuity is obvious with the ration box.. This is not an easy ration box to find if a collector was focused on military rations, and one from the Pacific theater given regards to the weather and other circumstances this looks like it is in great condition.

Thank you taking a few minutes to share your family history with us.. It is a sacred and impressive grouping.

Smitty

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast