Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sidney Patrick Daniels, DSO*, DFC* Pathfinder and Master Bomber

Article about: I was lucky recently to meet the son of Sidney Patrick Daniels, an amazing pilot, Pathfinder and Master Bomber. Born in 1921 he joined the RAFVR in 1939. Remember his age while reading on! D

Default Sidney Patrick Daniels, DSO*, DFC* Pathfinder and Master Bomber

I was lucky recently to meet the son of Sidney Patrick Daniels, an amazing pilot, Pathfinder and Master Bomber. Born in 1921 he joined the RAFVR in 1939. Remember his age while reading on!

DFC 6 June 1941: This officer has completed 25 operational flights over enemy and enemy-occupied country, involving 187 hours flying. He has proved himself to be a captain of outstanding dash and initiative, especially on long distance flights. In the face of heavy opposition he pressed home his attacks on Berlin and Mannheimn as well as Stettin and Weiserling. He has shown great enthusiasm and efficiency.

Bar to DFC 4 December 1942:
    Since being awarded the DFC this officer has participated in numerous successful sorties. His attacks have at all times been pressed home with the greatest determination and excellent photographs of the target area have frequently been obtained. One night in July 1942, Squadron Leader Daniels piloted an aircraft detailed to attack Hamburg. On the outward flight, shortly after setting course from base, one of the engines caught fire and became useless. Despite this, Squadron Leader Daniels flew on to his objective and, regardless of the heavy defences, bombed it successfully. Displaying fine airmanship, he flew the aircraft to base and landed it safely. This officer is an exceptional operational captain who has always displayed fearless determination to complete his allotted task.

DSO 12 March 1943: Since the award of a bar to the DFC this officer has participated in a number of operational sorties from most of which he has returned with excellent photographs of the target area. On a recent occasion, when detailed to attack Hamburg, one of his aircraft's engines failed early on the outward journey. Undaunted he proceeded with his mission, successfully bombed the target and returned safely to base. Squadron Leader Daniels, as Deputy Flight Commander, has displayed utmost courage and enthusiasm, and his influence on the Squadron has been excellent.

Bar to DSO 29 September 1944:
    This officer has completed a third tour of operational duty during which he has completed many sorties against strongly defended targets in Germany. He has pressed home his attacks with the greatest determination and his coolness and courage in the face of enemy fire have been most inspiring. He is a highly efficient squadron commander whose sterling qualities have impressed all.

Flew over 80 missions by his 24th birthday. Pathfinder for many of the missions and master bomber. I have given him the form to apply for the Bomber Command clasp to go in his 1939-45 Star.
    What can you say!
    Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sidney Patrick Daniels, DSO*, DFC* Pathfinder and Master Bomber  
    Attached Images Attached Images Sidney Patrick Daniels, DSO*, DFC* Pathfinder and Master Bomber 

A remarkable war service record and very special medal group. Are they still with the family?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    A remarkable war service record and very special medal group. Are they still with the family?
    Yes, we are mounting and framing them for his son. The family our rightly immensely proud of him. He said that his father never said much about the war.

Superb group and service career - I hope you are aware that these are immensely valuable from a monetary perspective too. With paperwork, provenance etc. easily £25,000.00 and likely more at the right time and place. So hope you are careful where they display them.

Dear Steve,

Thank you very much indeed for this post. As a matter a fact, Sidney P. " Pat " Daniels has completed an operation on December 23rd, 1940. The target was Boulogne - sur - Mer ( Pas - de - Calais, France ). His 2nd Pilot was Sergeant Jack McGregor - Cheers ( British, R.A.F.V.R., 754032 ).

Sidney Patrick Daniels, DSO*, DFC* Pathfinder and Master Bomber

Jack was killed in action on the night of 24th - 25th, 1941, along with his entire crew. Their " Kite " - Handley Page Halifax H.P.57 B. Mark I L9572 ( TL - G, " G ofr George " ) - was shot down by a Messerschmitt Bf 110, and crashed at Neufmaison ( the municipality next to Grosage ) near to Chièvres ( Belgium ). The seven poor fellows are buried in the Chièvres Communal Cemetery.

Here, there is a post that might be of great interest, if I may say so :

I am wondering if, by any chance, " Pat " Daniels' son has got photographs ( taken in 1940 - 1941 ) of No. 58 Squadron. Perhaps Jack McGregor - Cheers appears in one of them, as well as other airmen such as Sergeants Thomas Percival " Percy " MacHale, Jack Fuller and Alistair Alexander Stobie Heggie ? If yes, would he agree to share them ? Could it be possible for him to make scanned copies in 600 dpi, please ?

You will be both quoted as sources.

Dear Steve, I thank you in advance for your kind help.

Have a nice evening.

Cheers,

Mehdi.

A superb grouping indeed.