Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Is this Soldiers Medal WW2 era?

Article about: Hi all, I have been thinking of adding this Soldiers medal to my WW2 USA collection. I believe it to be WW2 era due to the slot brooch. However it does have slits in the brooch which makes m

Default Is this Soldiers Medal WW2 era?

Hi all, I have been thinking of adding this Soldiers medal to my WW2 USA collection. I believe it to be WW2 era due to the slot brooch. However it does have slits in the brooch which makes me unsure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this Soldiers Medal WW2 era?   Is this Soldiers Medal WW2 era?  

Wait for a more qualified answer, but I think the slots make it more modern than WW2.

It is correct for mid to late WWII. The slotted brooch as it is called first started to be used during the war and used into the early post war era when the crimp brooch replaced it.
    Last edited by 08SMLE48; 02-19-2024 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Typo

Late WW2 compatible. Regards Paul

I'm obviously looking at the wrong bit of the bar, apologies. Glad to hear it's a good wartime one.

One thing to keep in mind is that the attachment devices (In this case the slot brooch) were and are still readily available, and there have been many instances where a medal has been restored with replacement parts, (ribbon).

I would have to fully question and examine the thread and ribbon material to ensure that it is not synthetic, which would glow under UV light which would indicate a replacement.

I am not a huge fan of the medal planchet itself. It may just be the images but the obverse and reverse of the medal lacks detail. This is just my humble opinion though. It looks in rather rough condition.

Smitty