MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Trench Art OR Souvenir Bracelet?

Article about: These medals and bracelet were given to me in return for paying a \\$20 garbage bill. Overall, I think these items were a good snag for only \\$20. I'm pretty well acquainted with the 3 American

Default Trench Art OR Souvenir Bracelet?

These medals and bracelet were given to me in return for paying a $20 garbage bill.

Overall, I think these items were a good snag for only $20. I'm pretty well acquainted with the 3 American medals... but I don't know much about this bracelet.

Is it a piece of trench art? Is it made up of some sort of USGI gear... perhaps metal pieces used in packing materials, or links from a machine gun or something?

OR is it something an enterprising jeweler in Europe put together to capitalize on the influx of American servicemen and women coming through at the time?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Default Re: Trench Art OR Souvenir Bracelet?

i think its a peice of trench art bcause all the peices the writing is crude possibly the owners bayonet or knife for all the conrtys he went to.
    i don't think its a jeweler because he wouldn't know where the soldier had been

tom
    ps i like it

I have no idea about the bracelet, but what part of the US campaign is the medal with the yellow ribbon?

edit : looked it up on my own, American defensive service medal!

?

Gizmo I have seen these before they were made by local artisans for the GI he would tell them where he has been and they would make it up for them . I have seen them made of silver ,aluminum ,steel, and gold. Most in steel and aluminum . They would have them made then send them home to the wife or girlfriend mother who ever. Gary

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Gizmo I have seen these before they were made by local artisans for the GI he would tell them where he has been and they would make it up for them . I have seen them made of silver ,aluminum ,steel, and gold. Most in steel and aluminum . They would have them made then send them home to the wife or girlfriend mother who ever. Gary
    Thanks for the response!

This is exactly what I had in mind... I figured some enterprising Italian jeweler would make lemonade out of lemons and find a way to make money off of GIs. Judging by the image of Mt. V and the Bay of Naples on the center piece... I'm figuring it was made by a Neopolitan... typical!

There are little tiny tiny blobs of sky blue oxidation here and there on the bracelet that I can scratch off with my finger nail. I'm not up to snuff on my properties of metals... would this help us determine what this bracelet is made of?

?

Yours looks like silver over brass

Yeah, I'm thinking it's silver too. Either way, it is extremely light.

Can anyone tell me what this might be worth?