Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Two medals from a local shop.

Article about: I found these two medals in an antique shop yesterday along with a British WWI Brodie helmet in relic condition from some trench in France. I bought them all (helmet will be posted Christmas

Default Two medals from a local shop.

Two medals from a local shop.

I found these two medals in an antique shop yesterday along with a British WWI Brodie helmet in relic condition from some trench in France. I bought them all (helmet will be posted Christmas day), and now have them proudly on my ever growing ETO shelves. The medals are not that impressive, but they were two of the five types of medals my great grandfather wore after WWII. The medals went missing many years ago, and haven't been found since, so these make a good stand-in. Now I need an ETO ribbon and medal, Five Bronze stars, and a National Defense medal to complete the display, along with anything 483rd Ordnance Evacuation Company related.

Nice to see you were able to pick these up..

I may have the good conduct ribbon suspension...

For clarification purposes when you say you need 5 Bronze Stars, are you saying you need 5 small bronze campaign stars for the ETO ribbon, or are you looking for 5 Bronze Star Medals awarded for either meritorious service or actions in combat? There is a misconception by many when the bronze stars are brought up in discussions and in some cases misleading...

Not impossible for someone to be awarded 5 Bronze Star Medals for actions in combat/meritorious service but it is rarer than receiving 5 bronze campaign stars for participation in various campaigns.. (Is this what you meant about your G-G-father's service? campaign stars)..

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Nice to see you were able to pick these up..

I may have the good conduct ribbon suspension...

For clarification purposes when you say you need 5 Bronze Stars, are you saying you need 5 small bronze campaign stars for the ETO ribbon, or are you looking for 5 Bronze Star Medals awarded for either meritorious service or actions in combat? There is a misconception by many when the bronze stars are brought up in discussions and in some cases misleading...

Not impossible for someone to be awarded 5 Bronze Star Medals for actions in combat/meritorious service but it is rarer than receiving 5 bronze campaign stars for participation in various campaigns.. (Is this what you meant about your G-G-father's service? campaign stars)..

Smitty
    By bronze stars, I mean (with pride) for meritorious action. He was a mean son of a beetle, and scared of nothing, so he got five bronze stars for battle actions.

I assume that would mean you require a BSM with either the star devices, or the oak leaf clusters to show his additional awards.

Morris

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    I assume that would mean you require a BSM with either the star devices, or the oak leaf clusters to show his additional awards.

Morris
    Oak Leave clusters? BSM?

Sorry, I don't know much about awards.

Rusty,

Understood...

Bronze Star Medals would have Oak Leaf Clusters as subsequent awards, the smaller bronze star devices will denote campaign participation...

Would like to know more about your G-g-fathers service.. Sounds quite interesting....

Smitty

Rusty,

Oak leaf clusters indicate subsequent awards of a particular medal.. IN the case of the Bronze Star medal and oak leaf would be added to indicate a second or third or fourth award... A "V" device would be for a Valorous Act...

The ETO ribbon will have up to 5 bronze stars for campaign participation (Normandy, Central Europe, Ardennes, etc) After 5 bronze stars a silver star is then added to denote 6 campaigns..

Here are pictures of the Bronze Star Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters.. This indicates 4 awards of the medal. The medal initially counts as the first award and the 3 oak leaves indicate #s 2, 3, and 4.

And an ETO ribbon with 5 bronze campaign stars...

Does that make sense??

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two medals from a local shop.  
    Attached Images Attached Images Two medals from a local shop. 

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Rusty,

Oak leaf clusters indicate subsequent awards of a particular medal.. IN the case of the Bronze Star medal and oak leaf would be added to indicate a second or third or fourth award... A "V" device would be for a Valorous Act...

The ETO ribbon will have up to 5 bronze stars for campaign participation (Normandy, Central Europe, Ardennes, etc) After 5 bronze stars a silver star is then added to denote 6 campaigns..

Here are pictures of the Bronze Star Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters.. This indicates 4 awards of the medal. The medal initially counts as the first award and the 3 oak leaves indicate #s 2, 3, and 4.

And an ETO ribbon with 5 bronze campaign stars...

Does that make sense??

Smitty
    Yes, this makes sense. Thanks!

I do not know much about his service, other than he was a linguist of sorts with the 483rd Ordnance Evacuation Company. I'm researching the company at the moment, but am having a bit of trouble. They were on Omaha Beach apparently, but I have yet to find any reference to them anywhere. Not very well documented, but apparently according to one vets story, they were in the thick of combat everywhere.

Rusty,

Let me take a look around and see if I have any references..

I may have to reach out to some folks at the US Army Ordnance Museum..

Smitty

The 483rd Maintenance Evacuation Company was assigned to Camp Cooke, California in June 1943..

I will try to find more specific data

Smitty

Oops I meant Ordnance...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast